What do you think about the Jewish settlements in Israel?

Do you support their cause, or are you against them? Do you feel like they should have been given the land to begin with? Do you think the reasons they were given the land were adequate?

What do you think of the whole "promised land" concept?

http://www.meforum.org/2057/obama-and-a-settlements-freeze

Please don't make this a mini "holy war." Be respectful of both sides and if you have "facts" back it up with sources.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly IhartU I really don't want to take sides and side with anyone. Most of the information I have seen has shown that Israel has been defending themselves. They even give warnings to the people in Gaza before they strike back. I know you probably think my information is biased. But my DH goes to Israel pretty often and he knows a lot of people that live there.

But you need ot remember that there are innocent people on BOTH sides, suffering. I can't fix the problems (only one man will do that). But I want to help out and pray for the Jews and the Palestinians, BOTH.

As a Christian I firmly believe that this war is not just between flesh and blood. The real enemy doesn't have skin. There is a very strong spiritual element. My hope is for the people to find true peace -- through the love of God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes the land belongs to them, it was given to them by God. The promised land was the land given to Israel after Moses died. All that land belongs to God's people, Jewish descendants of Isaac, not the descendants of Ismael. My facts come from the bible. ( yeah I know people don't all believe in it but it is there.)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The bible also says those who bless Israel will be blessed, those that curse Israel will be cursed and right now President Obama is walking a very thin line on this one.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• agree w/ Shaneagle777
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The bible also says those who bless Israel will be blessed, those that curse Israel will be cursed
    ------------
    This is NOT in the Bible. It's a misinterpretation of a promise God made Abraham in Genesis 12:3--

"And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. "

The direct "bless-curse" line concerned Abraham alone (not Israel) and "all the families of the earth" were to be blessed in Abraham, which meant through "his Seed," which was Jesus Christ (see Galatians 3:16).

In response to the OP, If God intends that those people should have that land, they will have it. I, personally, haven't found anything in the Bible that supports a standing with literal Israel. As far as the "promised land concept" goes, I don't believe it is in reference to a nation on this sin-cursed earth.

cont.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was under the impression that Israel int he Bible referred to the PEOPLE and that the land was promised to ALL of Abraham's descendants.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First of all--God places no unconditional blessing upon any nation or individual.Throughout the OT, God's blessing or curse upon the Israelites was connected to their faith and obedience to His will. If they were faithful, they were blessed. When the people strayed, they were cursed.
    Note Deuteronomy 30:19--

"I call heaven and earth to record against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live."

Second of all-- Hebrews 11 states that the "promised land" is not of this wicked world. Though many of them listed here dwelled in the literal Canaan, "strangers and pilgrims on the earth." (verse 13) Joseph, Moses, Gideon, Samuel, David,and "all the prophets" (verse 32) "received not the promise." (verse 39) The "Promise Land" is not of this world, but is " a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God."

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

------------------
    Not those conceived through Keturah, Hagar or his concubines. Only those through Isaac.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was pretty sure in Genesis the land and blessings were promised to the "seeds of Abraham". Does it really matter who mothered them?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First off, I don't think Israeli Zionists should be given free reign to terrorize and murder innocent people simply because some people think the damn bible says they are God's chosen people and belong on that land. You'd think after all their people went through in the Holocaust, they'd have learned something, but nooooooo... they seem to use it as an excuse to kick people out of their homes, starve them, rape them and refuse them medical care. The Jews should have been given land in GERMANY after WW2, not land in Palestine. They came there, got greedy and decided what we gave them was not enough and so they chose to expel the people already living there and kill them if they resisted,  and we think the Palestinians are terrorists for standing up for themselves- hell, I'd do the same thing if thugs came and tried to kick me out of my home because some book written years ago said it belonged to them.

p>

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009