How old should a child be in order to bike to school alone?

We live 4 blocks away with only 2 turns and the only busy street has an adult crossing guard. Is there law? Now a days there is a law about everything.

h3art2h0m3

Asked by h3art2h0m3 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I myself wouldn't let my dd or ds (they are only 6.5 and 4 now, so awhile yet) till about 9 or so. I'm not sure, as every situation is different, distance away and all that, but your area sounds safe enough, I'd let her one time when she isn't actually going to school(like after school when there isnt' much traffic) and drive behind her, see how she does...
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Once a child is old enough to understand all safety measures and can be trusted doing it alone. My child would have to be older than 10
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It only takes 20 seconds for a stranger to snatch a child. If you google "amber alert" and look at the registered child molester database for your area, you will be able to make a more educated decision.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My child is 6 and I am not letting her bike ride alone until probably 10 years old but I think if I let her do that I might get her a cell phone for my own piece of mind or at least borrow mine so I can reach her.
    vivsmom424

Answer by vivsmom424 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• 9 or 10 and it would be safer if he was with a friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• 10 or 11.
    My husband started doing this when he was in 1st grade....boy, how times have changed! Of course, he also stayed home alone then too because his mom worked late hours. It probably wasn't the best thing for her to do.
    Gaskinwife

Answer by Gaskinwife at 10:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• NEVER ..IN THIS DAY AND AGE ..NO..NO WAY..MABIE12/14..BUT I WOULD HAVE TO HARD TIME..JUST ME.
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• By 16 they are allowed to drive on their own.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2009