how do i get my two year old son to be nice to other kids and not hit or pull hair? i have tried time outs and pats on the bottom. what to do? please let me know!

familycomes1st

Asked by familycomes1st at 3:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm working with my little girl with the same problem. I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. My daughter got kicked out of a play group for always being to rough with the babies. I feel consistent parenting and redirection is the key at such a young age. It is said time-outs should be equivalent to the child's age. 2 min for a 2 year old or 3 min for a 3 year old. My best friend tells me to gush attention on the victim so the "call for attention" backfires.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What we do with my son is when he hits, I take his hands and brush his arm lightly with mine and say 'nice touching'. I then ask him to show me 'nice touches' and he'll either show me or hit me. If he hits me or decides to try and jerk himself away then he gets to sit in time out until he apologizes or shows me nice touches. I don't have any issues with hair pulling as he's too fascinated with hair to do anything but just pet it but the above has done wonders with his hitting. My MIL introduced me to the idea.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• to be VERY honest, I use the "an eye for an eye" approach... if the child hits or kicks me, guess what- he/she is getn hit or kicked right back(within reason of course) and it really hurts their feelings more than it does physically, but its worked through two kids and a little one to follow, so we'll see. I think time outs are just silly. maybe for some petty crimes but they dont seem to work on my neices and nephews... i never bothered with time outs and MY kids dont hit, kick, bite, pull hair, or ANY other physically abusive behaviors... try to make the punishment fit the crime... good luck!
    JAXX55

Answer by JAXX55 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You don't hit a child to explain that hitting is wrong.

You put him in timeout everytime. Be firm and consistent. Eventually the message will sink in.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Reward good behaviour. Discourage, distract, and redirect negative behavior.
    It is hypocrisy to hit a child while at the same time saying "we don't hit, hitting is wrong."
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 7:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009