Your thoughts on punishing an entire class

My son came home from school in tears because his teacher told the entire class that they were being punished because some of the class didn't follow directions. I found out from the teacher that my son did what was asksed of him, but she was still punishing everyone. He has asperger's syndrome and has trouble with abstract ideas, so he doesn't understand why he is being punished and he did nothing wrong. I think the teacher is trying to get the "good" ones to influence the "bad" ones to behave properly, but it's not working.
What do you moms think about this mass punishment thing? I am afraid that he will start misbehaving because he now thinks that he is going to be punished if he follows the rules or not.

ledesa

Asked by ledesa at 3:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think the only thing you can really do here is to try your best to make sure your son knows he did nothing wrong and he needs to keep behaving how he always has. How bad can a punishment for an elementary class be anyway?
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Talk to the teacher about your concerns, good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I remember when I was in kindergarten I don't know what happened but the whole class got play time taken away, I was really good and did nothing wrong at that age, it was very confusing, I never told my mother because I didn't want her to be mad at me.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• That's the thing, he is confused. My DH and I tried to explain to him that he didn't do anything wrong, but with his perfectionist personality, he thinks he must have done something wrong. We told the teacher that he didn't understand what she was trying to do, but I don't feel like we got very far with that.
    ledesa

Answer by ledesa at 3:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think it encourages a lot of bullying. The 'good ones' are going to be nasty to the 'bad ones' for getting them in trouble and the 'bad ones' are going to be nasty to the 'good ones' for following directions. I think it's a failed idea that just shows the kids that even if they do the right thing they won't win.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't agree with it, but I do understand that you have 1 teacher for numerous students and if a large enough number of them misbehaved, she is stuck with a couple problems. 1 how does she know exactly which ones were misbehaving and which ones were not. Depending on how many are in the class and the situation it may be difficult. 2. How is she supposed to split the class giving one half the punishment while monitoring the other half for their regular activity. So since both those may be the issue, I can see where she may be in a position where she doesn't have much of a choice. Explain it to your son in that way and he may understand. Have him see it from her point of view (I know how difficult that is for an Aspie, but with some role play he may get it).
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It sucks. In 4th grade there were like 3 or 4 kids that ALWAYS talked and misbehaved and the teacher ALWAYS punished all of us even when she witnessed those 3 or 4 kids misbehaving. It was annoying. Almost every single night I had to write my spelling words (20 of them) 50-100 times each. One weekend we had to write them 500 times each and if we didn't bring them in we had to write them even more times the next night on top of any other punishment we got for the day. I HATED the 4th grade.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't agree with it but I do know that it happens. It just happened to my daughter the other day, in 2nd grade. One little girl was laughing during quiet time, no one confessed as to who it was, so the teacher punished the entire class. It bothered my DD but I explained to her why things like that happen. In your case with your child, you may want to talk to the teacher and explains why he takes it so hard and maybe she'll invest time in coming up with alternate ways of punishment and rewarding for different cases.

Good luck!
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:39 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Sometimes it's what has to be done depending on the situation. There are times with my kids that they both get punished even though only one did something wrong (even when I know which one it was). For instance, the younger is an instigator! So last weekend he was picking on the older one, then he hit him (the younger hit the other) so that was it, I told them both to go to their own rooms and neither is to come out until I say so. Sometimes it's the same in the classroom. If this was repeated behavior on the teachers part then I would have a problem with it because it will not be effective at all---it's like yelling, there comes a point when children/people stop listening.

lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 25, 2009