How do parents abandon their children?

My father hasn't been in my life since I was 7, he just took off, no cards, phone calls, just dissapeared, it didn't have that big of an impact on me I just hated men. Found out about a month ago that he died, It just amazes me how you could leave like that and never look back, I would kill my self if I was away from my kids. No matter how bad they bug me sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• That's sad, there are some people, men and women who are not able to handle being a parent. I didn't see my dad for a few years, only because of divorce, got re-connected with him when I was 8 years old, and talk to him frequently. Am sorry about your dad though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• There is two sides to every story on why he done that. Ask your mom what she thinks was the reason he left. Knowing those answers might put you mind at ease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I just look at it like this....if they are great kids, then it's that parent's loss if they choose to abandon them. Sometimes, the kid is better off anyway.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 4:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I guess there are just people out there that for some reason cant handle parenthood or feel that the child would be better off without them..... It is too bad because the one that ends up being hurt is the child.
    My husband grew up without his dad. His mom divorced the dad when my hubs was 1yr old and the dad did not make an effort to stay in the kids lives- they hardly ever saw him. My husband did not have a relationship with his dad till hubs was an adult, unfortunately it was too little too late as his dad died a short time later and they were still basically 'strangers' to each other.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• A child deserves to have a GREAT father,if he wasnt obviously, he didnt deserve you
    Angelgurl13

Answer by Angelgurl13 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Ive gone thru and going thru a similar situation with my childs father..he wants to visit when its convient for him,if thats once a month or whatever,i disagree. thats not a father thats a visitor.
    Angelgurl13

Answer by Angelgurl13 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No I cannot understand it. Im guessing they are selfish and unable to love others..
    Angelgurl13

Answer by Angelgurl13 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009