What's going on with my baby??

He is 5.5 months old and we started slow with baby food bannanas are fine, pears are great, squash and greenbeans. So I feed him peaches he is fine for a week then I feed it to him again and his face gets red and blochy (just cheeks, chin and upper lip area) he acts fine so I stopped with the peaches and sweet potatoes he has been eating for 2 weeks and just yesterday he got the same reaction. So is he allergic to those now too? Would he have gotten a reaction sooner than 2 weeks?? He is also teething and drooling a ton maybe that's it and he really isn't allergic to any of that. How do I know?? Thank you

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 4:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That does help becuase it gets all over his face and I wipe it off when we are done but I'll try doing it during the feeding thank you. Any other suggestions ??
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my 15 month old gets that when food gets on her face, and sits , just try to wipe it after every bite,hope that it helps.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• nobody will show allergic reactions the first time they eat something. Reactions will start showing more and more with every contact. You have to also listen to your son's clue, even if he is only 5.5 months old. Although blood tests showed no allergies at all, my son has really bad diaper rash when eating carrots. And, when he was a baby, he would only take 1 bite of carrots and then would refuse it. He knew this stuff wasn't good for him, even as a baby. I've learned that carrots and peaches are somewhat related in the food allergies, so watch out for that. If I were you, I would concentrate on other vegetables and fruits and introduce a lot of others before I even went back to peaches... but that's just me sharing my experience after three kids...
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 4:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would take him to the Dr just to be sure and discontinue the two foods you think may have triggered it. My DS went through that phase and it had to do with the food contact on his face from messy eating and drooling. It seems as if foods high in Vitamin C like carrots, peaches and sweetpotatoes effected him most of all. Slowly introduce them back one at a time after a few weeks to determine it for sure. I still don't give him sweetpotatoes, not because of the rash, but because they give him horrible gas and stomach pains.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First, this is very early for solids.

If he has a reaction to a food, discontinue it until him immune system is better developed, after he turns one.

Remember that solids before babies first birthday are for the experience of eating them, not nutrition.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Generally an allergic reaction shows up within 3-4 days, so I would think its something else. Try to think if youve used a new type or wipe, or if your wipes are scented if you use them on his face, etc..
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 5:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I do not know about allergic reactions cause my daughter never had any but when she teeths, she gets a rash on her chin and cheeks from the drool. I hope that this helps.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009