Are Republicans trying to adopt (or hijack) Ron Paul's message?

Beck, Palin, Romney even Ann Coulter are all now sounding like avid Ron Paul supporters, although seldom giving credit where it is due.

Glen Beck has been making headlines for himself recently by denouncing the Republican party and

making statements that he would have voted for Hillary Clinton over McCain. He even went so far as to draft five pledges a candidate should make in order to show himself "for the people". However, a close inspection of these pledges reveals that either Beck does not "get it" or he is a spokesman for the current Republican party which is desparate to regain its conservative support.

Upon reflection, one will notice that underneath Beck's pledges is an assumption that the government should be "in control" but has simply erred and gone off course...

Read the whole article at : http://tinyurl.com/ybl3the
(clickable link will be posted in first comment)

....thoughts?

lori9878

Asked by lori9878 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• (1) Glenn Beck isn't a Republican.
    (2) I don't think they are hijacking, but I also don't think some of them are truly believing the message they are pushing. I think is is MORE the American people are waking up and demanding more accountability.
    (3) I think Ron Paul's message lost Republicans because of his view on the war in Iraq. Fiscally speaking, I think Ron Paul's message is a good one.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I like Ron Paul fiscally. He is a proponent of Austrian Economics. That is the only model that truly works. I don't agree with is isolationist beliefs.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree with grlygrlz
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• "Ron Paul's message" is not copyrighted by Ron Paul. He didn't invent it. Fiscal conservatism was the core value of the Republican party since its inception. It's unfortunately been overshadowed by self-absorbed neo-cons who've insisted on making it all about Jesus for the past 10 years, but that doesn't mean it died.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Carpy, Ron Paul is not an "isolationist", and he never has been. He is, however, a non-interventionist--there is a difference, and it is a shame that the media and establishment politicians have managed to convince so many people of this false label. Non-interventionism was once part of the Republican platform (and it was also the view of the Founding Fathers).

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none"
    --Thomas Jefferson

lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Carpy, Ron Paul is not an "isolationist", and he never has been. He is, however, a non-interventionist--there is a difference, and it is a shame that the media and establishment politicians have managed to convince so many people of this false label.

Sorry, but I have never heard the reference from the media. It was my own take from listening to HIM.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sorry, but I have never heard the reference from the media. It was my own take from listening to HIM.

Apology accepted. :) Don't worry, a lot of people get confused about the differences between isolationism and non-interventionism. It's an easy mistake to make, especially because the media does have such a big hand in grooming how people understand these terms.

Non-interventionism was the vision of America's foreign policy from the founding of this country, and there is no telling how much hardship we could have avoided as a nation if we had only adhered to their wise counsel. To further clear up any misunderstandings you may have had about Dr. Paul, here is a column he wrote several years ago making the distinction: http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst121806.htm

lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I understand the difference. But I don't agree with the concept. Our security often depends on it. Ultimately they are the same.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Glen Beck has been making headlines for himself recently
    _________________________
    This phrase is all anyone needs to understand about Beck. As far as Ron Paul, I disagree with him on most things.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009