My baby constantly crys when I put him down, what can I do so he doesn't cry as much?

My 5 month old baby is just fine if me or my husband is holding him. However, if one of us puts him down he starts whining, then fussing, then crying. I can't hold him ALL the time and it gets frustrating when he doesn't stop crying. I put him in his bouncer with his rattle or turn on the tv, but nothing seems to work. Help!

memory_adrift

Asked by memory_adrift at 4:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why not wear him? Moby wrap/ baby Bjorn. Leaves your hands free and keeps your baby close.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• we tried tv shows like the wiggles mickey mouse. also try singing to him and dancing,telling him what ur doing,let him cry for a bit and give him different stuff.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 4:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I feel sorry for you. My daughter was colicky so I know what your going through. I think you just have to let them cry it out. It doesn't always work and of course you don't want them to cry for too long because that's no good for them either. I would start by letting cry for 10 minutes, then trying to sooth him if he doesn't stop, put him down again, then go for 15 min. I would try to increase his amount of crying each time so he gets used to not being picked up right away. But I wouldn't let the crying go on longer than a half hour. Let me know how it works.

I know they say not to do this, but maybe a bottle? Sometimes you'll just try anything. I know I did. Mine lasted for 3 months.
    agabriel1974

Answer by agabriel1974 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• let him cio...i mean he has to get over it....yeah i know ill get bashed i dont post anon....so i dont care i have 2 kids a 2 year old and a one month old....and with my 2 year old he never did that but if he did get in a fussy mood i let him fuss it out....when he was done i went in picked him up and loved him....but he isnt spoiled and my one month old if he gets fussy i do the same i put him in his pack n play and let him fuss until he calms down....you dont want a 5 year old wanting to be held all the time...but thats me....so i probably didnt help....sry...if i did im glad....i wish you luck....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I actually agree with "Mamaof2boys0709" - to a certain extent... One reason is because he is 5 mos old and I think that's old enough to start establishing some habits. I also think the Moby or Bjorn could help you. Heck, maybe HE will get tired of YOU holding him and he'll want to be put down to stretch out from time to time until he learns some independence. I know its tough to listen to your sweet little baby cry. You're just being a good mom for caring and not wanting him to be upset or uncomfy... at the same time its like HOW CAN I GET ANYTHING DONE DUDE!? Hang in there and remember, "This too shall pass"! good luck!
    JAXX55

Answer by JAXX55 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• He fusses becomes he is in the in arms phase. For the first 6 months babies like to be held. Put him in a sling.

CIO is abuse. He is a baby. He doesnt need to get over it....he doesnt know his environment. A baby doesnt know it is in a secure house. A baby doesnt know that it wont get eaten. Leave that poor baby to cry and its basically fearing its life. CRUEL.

If you give your child the love and touch he needs now..he wont be clingy. I know this from experience. My son is the most independent child I know.

There is a difference between a fussy mood and a desperate one..but with a newborn its entirely different to a 2 year old. My son is nearly 2 and he gets sulky I just wait and allow him to come to me when he needs me for a hug...but a 5 month old cant do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree with getting a sling, they work WONDERS. He's just a little guy and wants to be close to you and that is completely natural. Don't let him CIO because he's too young, if you research it then you will find new evidence saying that it is really unhealthy for their brain development. Is there any family or friends that can come over and hold him to give you a break. Try going on a walk with him sometimes the motion puts them to sleep. If you hold him now it will help him to be secure and independent in the future and best of all he will trust that you are there for him. As he begins to get a bit bigger and understands the world around him better he will become more independent. Enjoy him wanting to be close while it lasts because one day he'll be all grown up and you'll think back to this time and laugh. If you hold him now it WILL NOT make him a clingy 5 yr old, that is ridiculous. Be there for him he needs you.Good luck
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 5 months is WAY too young to CIO. He is a baby, and needs to feel secure and loved. Hold him or wear him.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I didn't read all the replies (in a hurry).
    However, 5 months is too young for CIO.
    My last baby was like this. They need comfort, love and to feel secure. Remember he spent 9 months living inside you, close to your heartbeat and the warmth and comfort of the womb.

Have you tried swaddling him tightly? That helps for some babies.
    I understand that you have things to do (Mom of 3 here) but if you can just hold him or wear him as much as you can for now. He should start to need held less and less in the coming months.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you don't use CIO, how would you know it's abuse? The opinion of your Psych PhD and MD education? Or just a judgemental beeyatch?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009