Is it just me...

or do you think it is wrong for a single mother of 2 small children (like under the age of 5) to go into the army? I believe if you are a MOTHER you should be there for your children. To me, its different for the father to go into the army, but for a Mother to, I just think its wrong....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Im not sure how she could swing it to have someone watch her kids. Does she get to stay stationed in US and live with her kids? Guess I would need more details.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Is she married?
    If nto she has to give them up temporaily sp ?
    No its not selfish it is a good choice and probably better in the end .
    You do know that there are very few good jobs and the military has promised pay and no lay offs
    Soudns like she is thinking of the long run for her children

Just wondering tho if it is not you then why worry?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If the army is the only way the single mom feels is necessary to raise her children, then there's nothing wrong with it. (She'll have healthcare and dental benefits for her family as well as a good retirement plan when she completes her 20 years of service.) I'm sure she has someone (her parents, close relatives, trusted friends, etc.) in mind to take care of her children if she were to get deployed. I'm not sure how the army works, but depending on her career field choice, she may not be chosen to be deployed as often as other fields b/c of her single mother status.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 4:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No, it isn't wrong, though she will have to have a wonderful support system in place and someone to take custody of the children on a moments notice. If she has everything in place for that then no. I see it as a very viable option.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• OP here: so, its ok for somebody to have children, and basically abandon them and leave it up to someone else to take care of them? I understand that shes trying to provide, but I believe a mother should care for her children, and not depend on someone else to do that for her. I think its selfish IMO. The person I am referring to, left her babys daddy for some random guy, and so not only do the children have the trauma of their dad not being around, now their mom is leaving too. I feel bad for the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• So you consider it abandoning her children? Then you think a mother is more important than a father because you stated that you don't mind a father doing that exact same thing. This is our impass and I will not agree. I don't find it abandonment but finding security for her family. Admittedly if your concept of what she did is truthful then she doesn't sound like the best example for you to use of this situation as most women who choose to join the military are not in that same situation. Perhaps in that situation it is a selfish decision of hers, but in most it isn't made lightly. It is not an easy decision for anyone, male or female, to make.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wow op you are ignorant.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't understand your logic.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Sep. 25, 2009