Putting Christ in a locked box during adoration

I am Catholic and I enjoy adoration's on Thursdays when I able to get to church.

I view adoration as special, something to do when I have an extra few minutes on Thursdays or need extra prayer time.

I was talking to a protestant friend and he said something very peculiar to me. It has me going hmmm? He said to an outsider it is as if we took Christ and locked him in a glass display unit. I responded that Jesus is not locked up. That was the end of the conversation. But it did get me thinking.

Today when I was leaving work I walked in front of the church that has Thursday adoration. I didn't go to adoration but I crossed myself and started thinking about Jesus in the chapel in the monstrance. It got me thinking about Jesus being locked up on display. I enjoy adoration and I don't think we should stop adoration but his comment had me thinking.

anyone have thoughts on this? *no catholic bashing please*

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 4:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• "I'm guessing some people do NOT understand Symbolism very well."

To Catholics, Kristi, it really does become the Body and Blood of Christ when the Priest blesses it during Mass. It's not symbolism to us. This is something that most non-Catholics have a very hard time wrapping their heads around. If you are interested in reading about it look up Transubstantiation, if you do it online though just be careful to look at it on a Catholic site and not on one of the many anti-Catholics sites out there. (I'll bet Eringobrough has some good links that help explain it too if she pops back on here)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• and of course one of the comments I made to him as about not believing in real presence and the transubstantiation. Without beleiving that is Body of Christ he can't think that way, but I like to contemplate and think things over.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Gee at first I thought you were going to ask about the Tabernacle. But his thought is interesting. I'll have to mull that one over.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The Catholics DO believe that the bread and wine were turned into the real body and blood of Jesus. You are right to be uncomfortable about believing Christ's body and blood being locked up in a glass display unit. I'm trying to research now what happens to the left over Eucharist. Doesn't sound right at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Jesus is not locked up in a glass box. Interesting question though
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• As for what happens to the "left over Eucharist" is you mean what happens to the Eucharist after it is in the monstrance, it is consumed by the priest. As for a 24/7 display at least once a month it is consumed by the priest.

I have experienced, and have talked to others who have seen an image of Jesus on the Eucharist during adoration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I understand Kattykitten that you don't want any bashing, but sadly I will be willing to bet that eventually this post will go downhill with anon posters... I hope not.

I've always loved adoration. I don't consider Jesus as being locked up and on display, but I guess I can see where an outsider would think that. Technically Jesus is everywhere. Most of the things we Catholics use during prayer are there as visuals and reminders that He is constantly with us. Adoration is really no different in that respect, at least IMO.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Anonymous
    The Catholics DO believe that the bread and wine were turned into the real body and blood of Jesus. You are right to be uncomfortable about believing Christ's body and blood being locked up in a glass display unit. I'm trying to research now what happens to the left over Eucharist. Doesn't sound right at all.

Do you believe that the bread and wine are turned into the Body and Blood of Christ because if you don't how can you be uncomfortable? To you it would be just a wafer

What doesn't sound right? The fact that there is adoration or what happens after adoration? Either one the answers remains the same. If you believe it is the Body and Blood of Christ you believed we consume His flesh as instructed in the bible. If you don't believe why do you care? You believe the priest eats a wafer.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 6:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just wondering, does anyone know the exact verse in the Bible that Jesus says, "This is my body..." I know there are many other passages that talk about eating flesh but I would like to meditate on this one.

I have to leave but if this does go down hill anime_mom619 will you report it to CM and ask them to close it not delete it. I would like to read more answers.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 6:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think it's a matter of perspective. Christ is everywhere - he can't be locked up. To me adoration is not about looking a Christ on display (after all it's just the accidents of the Host on display) - but about being in His actual presence. During adoration I feel calm and loved - all because I know I am in the actual presence of Christ.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009