What do you think of John Travolta just now disclosing that his son had autism?

I love John Travolta..he seems like such a kind spirit...I don't understand why he didn't disclose this information while his son was still alive..I understand the need for privacy but I'm dissappointed in him~! He could have been an advocate for autism all along...he could have brought so much attention to it, done work to help fund research and bring attention to the cause like Jenny McCarthy has done...sorry, just needed to vent.

chocolatluver

Asked by chocolatluver at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Entitlement...? No, I would just like to see more research being done for autism since it is reaching epidemic proportions in our country..1 in 150 children born today are born with autism....it's the fastest growing developmental disability. John Travolta has spoken up for scientology...I just don't understand why he hasn't spoken up about autism until now. Celebrities hold so much weight on a political level and can bring about so much change in areas that reallty need attention such as autism..I'm just dissapointed in him, that's all. I've always liked him, I thought his spirit was bigger...imo..'to whom much is given, much is required'...anyway didn't mean to start a debate or anything, just wanted to vent.

It was the scientology. They don't believe there is any kind of real mental illness. He must be stepping away from his religion to be admitting his son was autistic.
    azaleasmom

Answer by azaleasmom at 5:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Because that was his choice, not ours. Nothing wrong with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Why did he need to? Its not the public's business.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What difference does it make? His child is death. Their child's condition is nobody's business but theirs. Give them some respect and space. their child, their prerogative. Funny the sense of entitlement some people have.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Seeing what the media does to other celeb's and public figures, I have to assume that he didn't share the information to protect his son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You know I thought he was, but never really had the proof other than a gut wrenching feeling that he was a child who had autism.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 5:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree that it was none of our business and that he was protecting his child but fyi I also heard that in Scientology they do not acknowledge autism. So why he is now, who can say for sure - I was thinking maybe because it was important in the case he is involved in now etc. Either way I am sure it is for good reasons and I love him too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If he were going to advocate for autism the way Jenny McCarthy does, I'd rather he keep it to himself. That woman hasn't done me any favors. Now all I hear is, "why haven't you cured her yet, haven't you tried Jenny McCarthy's diet? Jenny McCarthy says you can cure autism, what are you doing wrong?" Sorry, my daughter actually has classical autism, and cannot be "cured". But back to the subject, it's none of our business. John and Kelly kept their kids out of the lime light as much as possible, and I think that's a great thing. I'm really surprised he said it at all, aren't they scientologists? I thought they didn't "believe" in autism?

syfymom

Answer by syfymom at 5:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wow...really?! Scientology doesn't believe in or acknowledge autism? If only that would make it go away! Thanks for the info.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 5:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2009