opk to test pregnancy?

okay so today af is due to show up but i feel none of her symptoms. but i am still doing my opk because i havent gotten a true positive but been bd every other day or so to cover my bases, i heard that opk's can also be used for pregnacy tests but i still havent goten a positive anyways, my last pregnancy said it was a low positive.... i do not want to get my hopes up and i am scared to test i have a pregnancy home with me should i test,wait or what!?! HELP!!!!!

claudiayreyes

Asked by claudiayreyes at 4:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• No, an opk responds to a surge of the luteinizing hormone (LH) that is always present in your system but rises dramatically when you release an egg. When you're pregnant your LH does not surge, but a new hormone, HCG is what triggers a positive on the home pregnancy test. An OPK is not designed to respond to hcg, only LH.
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 5:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The way I've heard it described (at www.peeonastick.com) is that LH (ovulation hormone detected by OPKs) and hCG (pregnancy hormone detected by HPTs) are very similar, but hCG has a little extra something on it; they're similar enough that OPKs will pick up hCG because they're looking for the main part that's the same, but HPTs won't pick up LH because they're looking for the extra piece unique to hCG. But since there's no way of differentiating between an LH and hCG positive on an OPK, it's not a reliable method. Take an HPT instead. (It is possible to miss ovulation while using OPKs, if you test just before/after your LH surge or if your surge isn't big enough to get a positive. Try charting along with the OPKs.)

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009