2 year old not pooping at all potty training.

My friends wanted me to ask this for her. her 2 year old son is potty training and has been for a couple of weeks. He is awesome at peeing on the potty but will not poop. now he won't poop in his diaper either. she started putting a diaper on him in the evenings just trying to get him to poop. she has started giving him prune juice and everything like that. He has not pooped in 2 days now. She is going to get him a laxative but how do you handle this long term? I have heard this is normal but what do you do about it? Anyone else have this problem.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like a control thing. I would not make an issue of it, al most ignore it, for a day or two and see if he will go it on his own. I would wait on the lacative for another day. My kids sometimes miss a day or two, then boy do they go.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• This is super common, especially with boys! Honestly, there's nothing more that she can do, he'll poop eventually! Hopefully it'll be on the potty so she can really play up the positive reinforcement! Just tell her to be sure to watch for a fever or sluggish behavior, or odd smelling burps. . .what may seem like reluctant pooping could easily be some kind of impaction, and that would be terrible!
    Jennifina

Answer by Jennifina at 5:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Try apple juice, and watch for the poop face. My daughter makes a face when she's about to go, and I quick set her on her potty and she goes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009