I am going to make this personal, or as personal as you can get online. I am going to tell my story and see what you guys vote.

My husband and I were both working, it wasn't great work, but we were both bringing home decent checks. I got pregnant. All of the sudden I couldn't keep anything down and had no energy because I wasn't keeping anything down (ended up having to get IV fluids at one point because I was so deydrated). I worked with food and by state law I could not work their while sick to my stomach. So I was let go, so I lost my insurance. DH got a second job and I applied for prego med. We also got wic. I have the baby, go back to work for a few months and find out that everyone hates me for "abandoning them" while pregnant. I leave and find a second job while fighting depression. I find one working evenings as a janitor, we still get wic and our son has basic health as I never made as much as I did before I was prego. Because of the night shifts my depression gets worse to the point DH thinks about hospitalizing me...

auroura

Asked by auroura at 5:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I loose my job because of this and we are back on FS, WIC and DS is on Basic health. I get help (paying out of pocket for it) and it has taken me the better part of two years to get to teh point I am again thinking of looking for work. During this DH has managed to get promoted twice and we found out TODAY that his second promotion has gone through, we have medical care again, we will be off FS by the 15th of next month. Wic has offered to calculate our income for the year to extend DS's coverage as long as it will go. We DID NOT ASK them to do this, they offered to do it as soon as we have a pay stub to work from. Did I do wrong by taking two years to be a SAHM on PA?
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think that if you are not healthy you can't take care of your child so if you needed that time to get better so be it. there is no right or wrong answer only what was best for your child. Don't worry about anything else because nothing else is more important than your child's needs been met.

I hope you are doing better.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I dont think so. Not at all.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sounds like mostly legitimate problems. I would never have quit the good paying food service job just because the other employees didnt like me for quitting while preggo. Screw them. Always keep a good paying job even if you dont like it or the employees dont like you. They dont pay your bills.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You were caring for your son and getting your self doing better. I am not sure why you are asking. But then again, when I couldn't find a job that paid enough for child care for my children and give me money left over, I was a SHAM and on PA to. You do what you must for your family and screw what others think. It is none of there business.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• PA is for working people who need help. PA is for families like yours who are doing the best they can to raise healthy and happy children. I'm proud to be a tax payer in a country that can help moms like you get back on your feet while caring for your son. Dont ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Naysayers are just misinformed.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No, you did nothing wrong. The reason PA is set up and set up with limits (60 months) is because we recognize that people have times like what you've had. This was not a voluntary 'sit at home and do nothing' thing you did. You took the time you needed to get yourself back to a place where you can help provide for your family. Any doctor or anyone who understands the importance of taking care of yourself understands that there are times when you need to take time out to improve your future ability. I applaud you for doing what you needed to do. I applaud your husband. And I see nothing, whatsoever, wrong with utilizing the system for exactly what it is meant to be for - which is the temporary support for families while they get back on their feet. You can hold your head up and stick your tongue out to anyone who tells you different.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No, not at all.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You did not due wrong but your doctor should have been treating you for post pardom depression.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Nope. I don't think so.
    You did what you had to do to get better. You weren't just on PA because you didn't feel like working. You tried, and you were let go because of your depression - which is a serious illness.
    I'm glad you have everything worked out, and I hope it gets only better for you and your family.

Congratulations on your husband's promotion. Glad you had such a good support system with him too! *hugs*
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009