Does your kid do this when it is time to do homework?

Ok I pick up the kids from school I let them unwind for about 30 mins. then give them a snack after they are done I get their stuff together to prepare for homework.

If they are watching television while I get stuff together somehow they get into whatever is on and I have a hard time pulling them away from the tv. I know I shouldn't let them watch tv but to buy some quick time for me to prepare for them.

Or I hear them say...Awww mom not yet wait til this is over or I can't do this I don't get it or I don't want to do this I mean I hear it all (I am sure you moms have too)

What to you do to avoid all this drama?

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't let my kids watch tv. Ever. Really. It makes it much easier. While you are getting snacks ready they can be picking up their rooms, getting their stuff ready for homework, or helping you make snacks.  Something constructive.  Make a no tv until homework is done rule. Keep the tv off while they are doing homework so they can't watch it while they are faking needing help. They won't like it but they will get over it.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I found that I have to just turn the TV off, even if whatever my boy is watching isn't over. He'll pout a little bit but now realizes if he justs gets it done without a fight, he will be free to watch a little before supper time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't push my son to do his homework too much, he can suffer the consequences at school when his homework isn't done. He will miss his quarterly incentive activities at school. There are just some lessons that need to be learned naturally.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My daughter is in kindy and my son is in 2nd grade. My daughter is special needs. I taught her in the first week how to get her own homework ready. DS I just told him on the first day to do his homework and ask if he needed help. DD always needs help so I sit with her while she gets her stuff out. Basically, I don't think you are giving the kids enough responsibility for THEIR responsibilities. You have shown them that their homework is YOUR responsibility so why should they worry about it. You prepare it for them sit with them etc. I am not saying don't help, but when you make it your responsibility to prepare it for them and all they have to do is fill it out, they realize it is more important to you than it is to them.

You may think I am way off, and for your kids I may be. But I have found that what is my children's responsibility is THEIR problem I will help, but I won't own it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree that kids need some down time after spending all day in school, so first thing when they get home is snack (since it is around 4:30 and if I waited it would be dinner time). Because there are so many of them, that usually takes about 20 min. Then it is time for written homework (math, worksheets, etc.) While I am making dinner (after homework) I let them go outside or watch T.V. or play in their rooms. They eat, get ready for bed, and then have down time again until they need to do their reading (20 minutes a night) and then off to bed. Homework should only take 20 min or less. If it is taking longer, let them finish at school the next day. When they miss out on activities because they need to their their homework, they will do it quicker next time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My children (9th, 5th, 2nd, K) come home, eat a snack, tell me about their day, and then start their homework. Then they read for 15-20 mins. My 5th grader had language issues (not speech), so I have her read to my kindergartner after she's done with her reading. Being consistent is really important. My oldest has always been the most difficult. He procrastinates and is at an age that it's harder for me to check on his homework, so now if he doesn't have any homework we make him read and then do a book report on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Make a regular time 'homework time'. if the kids know that each day at say 4:30, they always sit down to do their homework, it will get much easier. if the have a favorite show the just cant miss (:D) find out the time and work around it.

let them know that you are prepared to work with them if they will work with you.

learning the discipline to do homework is so, so important, they are not just revising the work they do in class, they are learning valuable life lessons about self motivation, consistency and routine.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son is in 2nd grade, we got home around 4:15 and we have a very set routine: put your lunchbox in the kitchen, get a snack and eat it at the table. While he's doing that we can talk about whatever----his day, the weekend, the dog, the weather, or nothing. That's his time to unwind and chill out for a few minutes. By 4:35 he's in his room doing his homework---which takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour due to the amount of homework he has. He can have a radio on in his room while doing his homework but no tv. He is not allowed to watch tv before starting homework because it didn't work last year--had the same problem you are having "awe Mom, just 5 minutes"...NOPE! He usually finishes homework right as dinner is done, we eat and he knows he has the rest of the evening to do what he wants--play with his brother, play outside, ride bikes, watch tv, play video games, whatever.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Donp't turn on the TV. My 11 yr old is always watching intead of doing her homework so I make her go to her room or sit at the kitchen table whre she can't see the TV or I jsut don't turn it on. I tell her when she is done she gets ot watch TV that seems to work the best at my house.
    ugee67

Answer by ugee67 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh totally happens in my house. I know that if I allow them to watch tv, I wait till the program is over or say "On the next commercial, go do______" I understand what you are saying. But that is NOT with homework.

When it comes to after school, we wash hands, put up backpack and let snack time be the down time and then straight to homework. Snack time is one on one time with me and my dd. No kids can over. Not until homework is done.

Let Tv be their reward....manipulation, my dear! lol If I were you, I would talk to them this weekend about your "new schedule" come Monday. Let them write it down on a dry erase or paper and make it creative. If its posted on the wall and written by THEM, there should be no arguments. Just an idea.............
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2009