Why does my son keep acting out (rubbing poop on the walls, peeing on the floor, rubbing food on furniture,and etc.)

He's 2 years old,

patti800

Asked by patti800 at 11:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best guess is your not watching him closley enough, or your not giving him enough attention. Kids act out like this to get you to pay attention to them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Yeah what she said. Why does your child have access to poop?
    Principella

Answer by Principella at 12:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Don't give him the opportunity to do this.. You have to watch them continuously. When you see him start to do this, give him a swat on the butt. You are in control.. You are the mom.. Don't ever lose control with them, be consistant.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• I'd say spend more one on one time with him. Do something silly, I run around the house and play hide and seek, we throw a ball back and forth, and play this game where I say "Where's the table...clock, tv, chair, door, etc. and he'll run around the house pointing at everything and clapping. Get down to his level and be silly, hell I even dance (in the kitchen away from the windows) it really gets him excited, and he'll start dancing like crazy...take him outside and let him run around, and explore, who cares if he gets dirty, you'll have fun in the bath later.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Sounds like he just being a little brat. Swat his butt. I would NEVER allow my child to smear poo on the walls. I'd try watching him a little better while you're at it, where is he getting access to poo at??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2008

• Wow. I think a better respnse to this question is....because he's 2!!! Don't listen to these people. They're not perfect parents, either. My son smeared poo on the wall the other day. He use to take his diaper off, so I started taping the tabs together so he couldn't, so now he sticks his hand in the leg of his diaper. The other day I put him down for a nap and was quiet so I thought he went to sleep. I went in there to check on him and he had rubbed poo all over his wall beside his crib. cont...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2008

• cont...
    And your child IS NOT A BRAT! I can't believe anyone would say that about a 2 year old. He's exploring. He's learning. He wants to know what it will look like when he smears poo on walls, or food on furniture. He wants to know what you will do. He's curious. He's 2. He's normal! Forget about that lady! Geesh.

Anyways...back to the point. I'm reading this book called "Happiest Toddler On The Block" by Harvey Karp. It's really interesting. It doesn't just tell you what to do to make your child obey, it explains WHY children do the things they do. It's quite humurous, as well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2008