How much tv do your kids watch?

The tv is pretty much always on in our house, although DD (almost 3) does not watch it constantly. There are certain shows she watches everyday, but she doesnt just sit in front of the tv all day. I dont see anything wrong with her watching a lot of tv, because most of the time its educational shows. How much tv do your kids watch?

AzaleasMommy

Asked by AzaleasMommy at 6:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Studies show that the more hours that a child watches TV the higher their chances of obesity.

My children watch less then 2 hours of TV a day.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• None. We have a TV but it doesn't work. Bulb went out about 2 months ago. Before that they still didn't watch it so we don't miss it. We use the TV to watch movies on. They have TV in their rooms, but for movies.  After homework and chores they can watch it and it gets turned off at bed time, but they hardly watch it anyway.  We don't even have basic cable. I don't like anything on tv now anyway and 99% of it I don't want my kids watching. So there really isn't a use for it in my home.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My child is not going to be obese, and like I said, she doesnt just sit and watch it all day. Its usually just on for background noise. I see nothing wrong with kids watching tv.
    AzaleasMommy

Answer by AzaleasMommy at 6:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My kids watch about 1-2 hours of TV depending on the day. I do confess I'm a TV addict, though, but having children has actually helped because now I'm busy doing other things.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I did NOT say that your child is going to become obese. I said that it increases her chances of becoming obese.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just cause a child isn't in front of TV ALL day doesn't mean it's not bad. My 2yr old DD gets 1 or 2 short DVDs most days. Sometimes as a reward, if I have to do something really important quickly, or if she can't help with cooking dinner that night. I don't let her watch TV cause of the commercials and content. I know what's on her DVDs and approve.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I dont believe that. Even if "studies" have shown that. She is a very active child, just because she watches tv doesnt mean shes gonna be fat.
    AzaleasMommy

Answer by AzaleasMommy at 6:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My kids are in grade school and once they get home, they follow a schedule. Shower, dinner, prepare their clothes, snacks and water for the next day and off to bed. I let them watch tv if there is time on weekends alongside the other activities we are supposed to do that day.
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 7:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• oh I just read your entire question. When my youngest daughter was 3, i did limit her tv viewing. She was allowed to watch only a little if there is any. We would do a lot of other activities like painting, drawing, building blocks, science projects, crafts, reading or simply going around to playgrounds,groceries or take mini field trips and go out of town.
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 7:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009