How old ..

At what age should a child be old enough to be alone just for few (1-2) hours?

allie140

Asked by allie140 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i think a mature 11 year old can stay home for a few hours as long as they know the rules and have an activity (homework) to do.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 1-2 hours for like nearby errands and with a cell in hand.... I guess in my world it'd be 13. in real life more like 11 prolly.

I was 3rd grade when I 1st stayed home while my Mom went to a dr's appt. I was an only child and fairly mature..... but IMO that was too young.

my kids will be more like 12-13 I think.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It really depends on each individual child. My #3 son is 10 and has been staying home with his older brothers for a LONG time now. Hhe is perfectly comfortable being home alone for 1-2 hours, even more if I would let him.
    I always have my cell phone and he knows the number. He is smart, responsible, and rarely gets the chance to enjoy a quiet house....(we have 4 kids and I run a daycare)....but, you just need to be sure that he understands house rules, like don't answer the door, phone, use the oven, etc.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009