Any ideas of how to get rid of Eczema on my daughter's cheeks? I'm desperate!!

I'm looking for any and all ideas. We've tried switching bath soaps to a natural organic one, and we've tried using hydrocortizone cream and neither of those have worked. The dr. said he could prescribe something stronger but I want to try more natural home remedies before I go to that.

FYI she just turned 1.

Thank you!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Try Apple Cider Vinegar.
    You can find effective recipes for this if you google it. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It's controversial, but dairy can sometimes be considered a culprit. Try cutting all casein out, and see if it makes a difference. Also, probiotics can help. Vaseline on the cheeks and other problem areas to hydrate.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was going to say what Krysta said, but instead of Vaseline, try Aquaphor. It's a little pricier, but seems to work better for us.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 6:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Tea tree oil will do a really good job...and surprisingly, a splash of bleach in the bathtub actually kills the bacteria too!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• DD's dermatologist said that Aquaphor is just glorified Vaseline. I looked at it, and it's just petrolatum jelly. I believe that Vaseline works just as good, but if Aquaphor works better for your family, who am I to say it's a waste? I guess there could be a slight difference in the inactive ingredients, and that could make a difference.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Try California Baby brand lotion. My kids have keratosis pilaris and eczema, and it works pretty good on them. It's all natural and it contains ingredients that soothe dry skin.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Talk to your doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I put Bag Balm on my sons cheeks and it works. You can sometimes get Bag Balm in the grocery store, if not, they have it at Cal-Ranch.
    CamilleMomma

Answer by CamilleMomma at 8:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i use gentle naturals baby eczema cream on both my kids, it works good, also aveeno baby wash :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First, I am sorry. I know how desperate it can be and how bad a child feels when the eczema is also in a place where others can see it. It is also one of the most difficult skin disorders to treat and what worked for a while then suddenly stops working. Parents just hurt for their children. You can be supportive to your child by educating her on her condition, letting her know millions of people have this disorder, and finding a support group or starting one for her. It can be very lonely as a young girl/tween/teen with a skin disorder on her face. Teaching her strategies on how to cope if someone has questions or teases can also help her. I hear what you are saying about a more "natural" way....at some point we reach total desperation and do try what doctors suggest. Even prescriptions work for some time and then don't again. What helps the most: diet, exercise (have her try yoga, karate, dance), good social

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009