Do I need to take child birth classes?

34 weeks pregnant

Should I even bother taking the class? Does it help?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I liked learning what my body will do during labor and I had no intention of using pain meds so it did help me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It was also funny to see DH walk around in the fake belly
    Jademom07

• Oh my gosh yes!! I'm so glad I took the classes, and my husband too. I understood what was going to happen and was so much more prepared. It really took the fear out of childbirth for me. My husband was glad he went too!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• we werent able to take one, so i ordered a dvd. it went through all the info and breathing stuff that they do in the class. it was great. it was also cheaper doing it that way.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I didn't attend a class but I read a lot and was very informed about everything that could and would happen. And labor was easy and I wasn't nervous. But if you don't know too much about what could happen and how to deal with it, then it could be very helpful. Plus if you are nervous a class could ease your nerves.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• With my first baby, I took 3 kinds of birth classes and read a lot of books, watched a lot of (normal-natural) birth videos, I spent a lot of time in each prenatal appointment (1-2 hours/each) going through my questions & concerns... I was ready to be a midwife, myself, by 40 weeks, lol! ;-)
    I have taken more since then, pregnant and non-pregnant. ;-P

But I really LOVED classes. I loved hearing the physiological aspects, hearing the pain-coping suggestions, the other advice, and especially connecting with others like me (a support group).

Because birth is normal & ancient, we don't NEED to learn how to give birth.
    But hospitals and doctors and their interventions ARE new to birth, changing how we do it. Not really making anything easier...
    So we go and get schooled on the many options, how to cope and how to aim for our preferences.

I recommend classes for all these reasons! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What would you hope for out of your birth experience?
    I think that it can be helpful for any birthing scenario.

There are birth classes for cesarean moms, medicated delivery moms, natural birth moms, waterbirth moms, moms again, single moms, etc.
    Within the natural birth are a few choices that come to mind...

But what would *you* like out of the experience?
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• if you are delivering at a hospital, it might be a good idea to at least take a tour there so you will know what kind of birth they promote. whether it's going to be hard for you to get the birth of your choice. other than that, i think reading a good book on the subject of birth is a good idea. :) they usually have some good ones at the library. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would take a child birth class. For my first I didn't and when I was in labor I found it very scarry. The more you can prepare yourself the better
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• For the childbirth classes, they usually want you to take it before your last month, and at least around here you have to register for it at least a couple of months before that. So it may be too late, regardless. But it is a good idea to educate yourself about what will/could happen, including C-section, so you're not freaking out when you're in labor and get to the hospital and don't know what's going on or what questions to ask.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009