question about baptizing..

my son is 2 1/2 and we haven't baptized him. i was never baptized but my son's father's parents seem to think that my son HAS to be, and they're not even religious. They just won't shut up about it! It's not like im totally against it but im not religious at all and I don't feel it's that important. What should i do to convince them that it's fine if he doesn't get baptized? Any advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't need to be baptized until he asked to be. Baptism is to show your faith in God. It's like a public announcement so to say. Anyways point being unless the baby understands and wants to do it it means nothing at all. I go to Southern Baptist church and I don't know a whole lot (I've only been going a couple yrs) but I do know that. Also, you are his mother it's up to you, but like I said it's pointless unless he decides to do it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you're Catholic, it's you making a "church" public statement that you will bring up your child in the ways of the Church. That is also the job of the Godparents....to see that the child is brought up in the ways of the Church.
    If you're not Catholic, I believe it's called a dedication....similar idea.
    A Baptism is something that can't be done until the person themselves understands and makes the decision themselves.
    If you and you're husband have talked at length about it and are comfortable with your decision, then you just go with that, and anyone who questions it, just be honest with them as to why you're not doing it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Baptism is also so the baby/child won't be in peril (between heaven and hell) if something were to happen to them. None of my children are baptized because their father doesn't want me to.. I am Catholic and it's normal for us, at least in my family anyways to baptize baby around 4 months of age.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was baptized at 27 years old. You can tell them that you want him to make that choice on his own when he is an adult. As a parent baptizing your child, you are making a promise to raise your child with the intent of a religious up bringing. If that is not your intent then there is no point in doing it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009