How can I get my two year old to drink milk from a cup/get off the bottle?

My daughter will use a "sippy" cup for everything except milk. She throws a fit and refuses to drink milk unless I put it in a bottle. Any suggestions? I want to get her off the bottle completely, but I need her to drink milk. Thank you.

holspad

Asked by holspad at 7:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Give her a straw instead and get rid of the bottles...if she knows that you have them, she will throw a fit knowing that you will give in and give it to her. She is controlling you
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just don't give in; she obviously likes milk or she wouldn't even drink it in the bottle. She knows that she can throw a fit about it in a cup and you'll give her the bottle. Try sticking to the sippy and even if she doesn't drink the milk then, she will eventually.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just stand your ground and put it in a cup! You are in charge not her. If you stand your ground and ignore the fits and tantrums and she won't die from lack of milk.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• yes im the same here just strated the other day . i tell him hes a big boy now and no more bottle. and if he wants me to make hime some tea in a cup he say no so .. ok go on to bed. and he does just lay till he fall asleep. just dont give her thats what i think
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I just told someone else this also.. my daughter had the same issue. This only works if your daughter watches dora but I told her that swiper swiped all of her bottles. It made her mad at first she started drinking milk within the next few days. I started out with choc and strawberry milk then just plain milk after she forgot about the bottles.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First, you don't NEED her to drink milk. No one NEEDS to drink milk. Second, just throw out all the bottles, be done with them. Don't do it slowly, just take them all away. As long as she is having calcium and fats in other foods, she will be fine. She can get the needed nutrients from yogurt, cheese, ice cream and other calcium or fat sources. Then just keep offering milk in a sippy cup, don't force her to drink it. She may or may not start drinking milk in a cup.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My daughter went through a grieving process when we tossed her bottles. It's a long story, but basically her nipple wore out on the bottle and she refused the new one. Four days she laid around, pouted, cried and was so demandingly fussy. It was so difficult and I honestly thought she would never be the same sweet, adorable, happy baby again. Really. Day 5 things got much better. Day 6 we were on the right track. By day 7 she was back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However and whenever you do it, just know that you and your little one will both come out okay at the end. Hugs :-)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Its so much easier than everyone is making it seem! Its an easy transition! Just buy a couple of the nuby sippy cups with the soft plastic like mouth piece on them. They are great. they are only like 1.50 and they are a sippy cup not a bottle. But arent just a plain cup. My DD is 2 and loves these. She also uses a cup but this will ease your DD into it. Just take the botles away completely. DOnt even mention a bottle. Just give it to her when she gets her milk. It might be different at first for her but she will like it much better than the regular sippy cups.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• A two year old doesn't need milk.

cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Don't give her a bottle and let her throw a fit. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2009