Why do I feel like there isn't enough time for a day when I don't even work?

I have two kids and I'm a stay at home mom.

Lavander

Asked by Lavander at 7:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why not keep a journal about what you do during the day...I find that with my 1 child during the day that I'm bored. That is when I am on vacation from work btw.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Don't we all, being a SAHM is a full time job!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I made that same comment earlier today. I can't get everything done no matter what I do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Probably because you are out running around with them, which it fun but tiring. Then you get home and say, oh, I have to do x,y, &z in the house, oh, no!

I work part time from the house and have 3 kids. I volunteer at the elementary school - I work on the charity committee, PTO, help in the office and am a room parent. I tend to clean while homework is being done. But I often wonder where the heck the time goes.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Haha, I'm a SAHM and I feel the same way. I have to get up at 6 to get my middle son ready for school, take him to catch his bus at 640, then get back home and get my oldest and youngest up, get them ready, leave by 740 to get them to the bus/school. Get home from dropping DD off for kindergarten at 830. Fix breakfast for hubby when he comes home from PT, run errands, pick up DD from kindergarten at 1030, come home, fix lunch by 1130, then clean til 330 when my other 2 get out of school. I pick them up, then go to soccer on Tuesdays and Thursdays for all 3 kids from 5-630, then home to cook dinner, clean up from that and get the kids straight to bed by 830. Saturdays are filled with soccer games. It's hectic but I love it lol, even though everything is never done.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I just asked the same thing. I have two kids also. Here is a copy of my question.

How hectic is your schedule? And, how do you manage?
    I have a 4 yr. old, and 1 yr. old. I am having trouble keeping up with housework, and even showering. The 4 yr. old is in daycare which helps, but, when he gets home he has screaming temper tantrums. I have been trying to limit being on the computer because I realize it can waste lots of time. I have been making a list, and trying to plow through it and looking at nothing else on the computer which saves time. I am a stay at home mom with an online business selling green products.

When do you find time to shower, cook, clean or do anything fun?

I was wondering what your schedules are like and how do you manage? Maybe if I follow someone else's daily schedule, I'll be able to manage. I get very depressed, since it seems that I try very hard, but seem to not get much done in a day.
    CamilleMomma

Answer by CamilleMomma at 7:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If someone else was watching your two kids during the day - would they not be getting a paycheck for that?

Why do you think it would count as work for someone else, but not for you?

Here's something to lighten the mood: A song called "the to do list" by a SAHM like you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewmy_8AKkZw

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It's awful how sometimes people would assume that we are not doing anything. I don't even want to say anything anymore. It's different when your only taking care of yourself but it's another thing to be taking care of kids and a husband, too. Even the laundry is compounded! I just cooked clam chowder, chicken, salmon and japanese curry steak for dinner. There will be plenty of leftovers for tomorrow's dinner. I asked the two girls ages 7 and 8 to help me clean up today so in that sense, I did not do much cleaning today but just a lot of dishwashing and scrubbing pots and pans. We also did additional work on Math and English. I did research on this thing that I want to sell and business I want to get into. Now, it's time for bed again.
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 2:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2009