for those of you who got the epidural did you regret it? did you plan on not getting it before and labor pain change your mind??

just wondering because im scared i wont know when to push on my own... im thinking maybe the tub they have to help with labor and the iv pain meds might be enough for me... i did plan on the epidural before until i saw their tub (just for labor pain not doing water birth) and i thought "well if they would let me sit in that maybe i can handle it without the epi??" warm baths and my husband have always been able to sooth any pain ive had before but then again ive never had to go through labor before.. so for those of you who got the epi did you regret it? or plan on not getting it and the pain change your mind?? If you did get it do you think you could have handled birthing without it?

armymum1013

Asked by armymum1013 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got the epi twice and will be doing it again this time. I went into both my labors knowing that I would get it and during my first labor I received pain meds and that is something I did NOT want during my second labor or this upcoming one. I didnt like the out-of-body feeling that it gave me and I want to mentally be there for my labor, even if I cant feel it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes I regretted it since I didn't want it in the first place BUT I was induced and had the nurse from hell...her goal was to crank up the pitocin as quickly as possible and by hour 26, I was having back labor with non-stop contractions. After an hour and a half of a contant contraction, I couldn't bear it anymore and asked for morphine (? I think that's what it was) I just needed to take the edge off but all it did was make me sicker than a dog. After another thirty minutes, I finally gave in because I couldn't catch my breath anymore and was starting to panic. Next time, they better have REALLY good reason to induce me cause I'm not doing that again. I want a med free birth.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Why deal with the pain if you don't have to? Right now my good friend is in labor. She didn't plan on it, but she dealt with the pain for 5 hours only to progress to 4cm. 4he got really tired,she broke down and got it. She is resting peacefully now. She is quite happy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I got it but originally planned not to. In fact I was so angry after I got the epi because my contractions were so strong and painful, I was handling it well but I knew if it was going to get worse then I needed the epi (my monitor wasn't measuring my contractions right so I thought I was only dialated to 3) Well it turned out that when I laid back down and they checked me his head was coming out of me...Seriously! I was so pissed because I told them to check me a little earlier when the pain was increasing and they said oh no it will be a while still (but i was only in labor 7 hrs total). So in all honesty I didn't need the epi and I did regret it. The pain is manageable, just breathe and don't focus on the pain. I wish you luck!
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i got the epi with all 3 of mine and plan on getting it again. that way i enjoyed the birthing experience. I did not regret it, but respect individuals decisions on this. i do not bash anybody for choosing any kind of method of giving birth or parenting mehtods unless it harms the baby. Can you plan on not using it, then change your mind? It sounds like you have a good plan in mind already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I gave birth once without epi, I was 20 weeks preg I was loosing my baby I went into labor monday night and gave birth thursday and let me tell you what, labor pains were so bad I didn't know what was going on with me I thought I was siriously dying. If your strong enough to handle the pain and I mean pain that nobody can prepare you for, maby be the tub will sooth it a bit but not much, then go for it.

My last two boys I had the epi and I will have it again if I have more kids.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I completely plan on getting one. this will be my first and ive known since I got pregnant I wanted one. You may not even need one. My Cousin likes to do it all natural cause it doesnt bother her at all
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i dont regret it i was induced wpitocin so contrations are harder than normal. if i had the option f one of the tubs, i would have doen that. i didnt want the iv meds bc they said it would make me loopy. you WILL know when to puch, dont worry.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I had one and it didn't work right. All it did was numb my legs(?) The nurse wouldn't listen to me and just kept pumping more meds into it. I felt every contraction, every stretch and push. It really wasn't that bad. I also have severe back problems now, thanks to the epidural.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i did not expect to get an epi thought the iv meds would be enough lol i was wrong but the lady who did my epi did a crappy job it took her six times to do it i dont thimk i will have another if i have another baby cuz the experience the first time was horrible and then the way it made my legs feel i did not like i have epilepsie and the feeling reminded me of the feeling after i have a seizure
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009