How do you treat infant eczema?

My 5 mo old has eczema on her chest, a spot on her leg, and a bumpy rash on her neck/chin/cheeks.. (maybe the rash is from spit and teething). What can I use to help treat it? I have tried Burts Baby Bees Cream, A&D, and regular petroleum jelly. (The pj was recommended by our ped.) Anyone else have other options that worked? She knows how to scratch it now, and will cry if she gets it angry again by scratching. We keep a dry bib on her and clothes to keep her hands away. Thanks Moms!

MrsBujak

Asked by MrsBujak at 7:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put aveeno lotion of my son, he has it too. Um if you look on the back of the aveeno bottle it will say the percentage of the active ingredient and I buy the one with the most in it. They have different kinds of aveeno lotion and I can never remember which one it is so I just check the back. Anyways if I put it on him daily, it helps keep it down. Plus I use aveeno body wash on him and I don't let him have long baths. In fact when it gets really bad I put him in the shower, though your little one is a little young for that, but you get the idea. No dial or harsh soaps like that. The best is aveeno, but caress and jergens is okay.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i use the aveeno wash on my baby (he has eczema on his face) and put the gentle naturals baby eczema cream on the crusty spots ( it has helped ALOT) GL poor little munchkin
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My friend's dd had it pretty bad and her pedi prescribed some sort of steroid cream for it...you could probably ask about it - good luck!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• well she will have eczema for the rest of her life. i used avenoo produts. also ceptaphil. i used all clear detergent. she is also on prescribed medication
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My daughter had it pretty rough on her ankles, knees, wrist, elbows, back and belly. I went to walgreens and looked through the baby aisle and came across this lotion for it. I do not know the brand off the top of my head and the bottle is in the baby's room and she is asleep but it has winnie the pooh characters on it. It worked really well. It took about 2 weeks of using it everynight after bath to see a big difference but she only has a couple tiny patches left.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i use hypoallergenic soap, and our pedi told me to put 1 % hydrocortizone cream on the blotches when they popped up. we also use hypoallergenic laundry soap. it comes and goes, but not like it did at first. she will have some form of it her whole life.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:54 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Hey lady. Both my kids have it here, only here in alaska. We use cetaphil liquid soap and lotion. It works great. My boy never gets any breakouts any more. He would get them on his face, elbows and knees. My girl gets it on her face only. You can try aquaphor also. It is like PJ but breathes. You can get cetaphil from fred meyer and I think walmart. We also use dreft laundry soap and dryer sheets that are no dye and no perfume. Laundry soap would break my boy out. My boy also has prescription hydrocortizone cream one for his face and one for his body if he gets bad. But using the soap and lotion and keeping him bathed every other day he has no breakouts!

tntsmom216

Answer by tntsmom216 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2009