I CAN'T DO THIS!

i can NOT potty train my son. like seriously. i don't have the patience. i ask him if he needs to go potty and he says no, and 2 minutes later he pees his pants. then i freak out and yell at him. i was thinking that he's not ready but come onnn he's almost 3yrs old. everyone i know with a kid my son's age says their son was completely trained before 3. i won't be able to send him to pre-school either since every place ive looked at requires the child to be potty trained. great. i need HELP! i've tried EVERYTHING from regular underwear, running around naked, rewards. nothing works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont ask him. PUT him on the potty every hour or so. My son is potty trained and he still will tell me no when i ask him if he needs to go. Sometimes i still have to tell him to go.

You have to be consistent, that's for sure. Freaking out and yelling at him isn't going to get you anywhere either. You are going to HAVE to be patient, no matter how frustrating it is, if you want him to potty train!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I started training my oldest son when he was three years old, not any time sooner, I asked him all through the day is he had to go, took him to the bathroom and explained to him numerous of times what he needs to do and that daddy and all big boys go on the potty, he peed his pants a few times even poo, after a while I would swat his butt if he poo or pee and he learned to use the potty, I never used rewards, I didn't belive in rewards for going to the bathroom, jmo
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Don't yell at him; it might set him back. If you honestly think that he knows what he is doing and knows when he has to go, then you can try what I did. My son was 3 already and I knew that he was just being stubborn bc he would go when he wanted to or if he wasn't busy. It was ridiculous. Well a friend gave me the idea of putting character undies on him and when he peed on lightening mcqueen take all of his lightening mcqueens away and calmly tell him that he peed on him and that it hurt lightenings feelings and that he thought he didn't like him anymore so now he's on the fridge until you can be nice and not pee on him. And when son uses the potty he gets to pick one toy off fridge. If he pees or poos take whatever toy it is and put it up. My son stopped peeing his pants very quickly. Oh and warn him when u put the undies on him about what will happen and tell him they r his friends and don't want peed on.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my daughter is almost three and still refuse. we have made her sit on the potty and she will hold it until she gets off.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• you know that by yelling your just making it worse. and the more you yell the worseit will get
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yelling will not help..your child is not ready
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• to get my son to stay on the potty we sing a song together (ABC's). We are just beginning the potty training thing, so I can't tell you for sure if htis helps- but it does keep them on the potty for a minute or two. Good Luck.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My DS is 3 1/2 and he's only been trained for 2 mos. I had a hard time too and thought it would never happen, but after he truly understood what we wanted him to do on the potty it was done in like 2 weeks. Seriously!

I started off asking him if he had to go, bad idea. Eventually I realized that he didn't understand what having a full bladder felt like/meant. I would put Cars on the tv and make him sit on the potty (in front of the tv) for the whole movie. Whatever he wanted to drink was his. Full glassses of milk, juice, and water. Finally he understood and went one day. Just like it was nothing.

Everytime he peed he got 1 sticker, poo got 2. At 10 stickers he got to get a new car.

After that breakthrough I would make him sit on the potty for 10 mins every 1/2 hr. He pretty much got it after that. Now he's on his own. Totally on his own, undies down, pants down, wiping, flushing, handwashing, you name it.

bamswife

Answer by bamswife at 11:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009