Was I being mean to my dd?

OMG! Mydd is driving me crazy she is only 6 yrs. old and acts like she is the victim in everything...venting.

She is trying to fall asleep but I won't let her I tell her she has to wait for dinner and what ever it takes to get ready for the evening. She's like WHY!

I wet her face alittle and she got so mad at me...but I need to keep her awake so she will sleep tonight usually she is good about going to bed when it's time she knows I guess she had a rough day today. I just can't stand all this crying and whining!!!!

What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Actually, they say that a nap can be good for kids her age and even older. I'd let her take a nap. I understand what you were trying to do, but I think it just made both of you miserable. Let her nap, then if she has trouble going to sleep I'd tell her she has to stay in bed and she can read books until she falls asleep, see how that works.

Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• that does sound kind of mean.

if she's tired she might just need more sleep, but i see how its not great to fall asleep before dinner.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• She's tired! Geez, I hope the next time you're very tired someone does that to you. Poor 6 yr-old kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• let her sleep so she shuts up it will not hurt her to miss dinner
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i have to do the same thing with my boys sometimes- its because they sometimes refuse their nap so by dinner they are zombies but if i let them fall asleep they wake up just as i am settling down for the night and they are hungry and wide awake! so i try to make them stay up long enough to eat and as soon as they finish i put them in bed
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Let her eat a sandwich and go to sleep. She obviously needs the sleep. She could be overtired or she could be getting sick. She could also be growing. I say let kids sleep when they need it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree.. splashing in the face?? I would be irate if someone did that to me. Give her something quick to eat and send her to bed. Or let her sleep and if she wakes up hungry give her something quick and make her go back to bed.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I may not have splashed water in her face, but I do agree that you needed to keep her up so that she'd go to bed at the right time so I'll know that she will get a good night's sleep.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 12:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Could she be getting sick? I mean if this is unusual for her, then I would probably let her sleep for an hour then get her up for a bit and let her go back to sleep after she ate something.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes. She's 6. Sometimes as adults our batteries run low and in children it's more likely to happen. I would have given her a sandwich and a piece of fruit and sent her off to bed a bit early. I hope she's not getting sick because I am sure you'd feel like total crap if you knew you'd been a bit nasty to a child who was coming down with something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2009