Why "get a job"?

This is a spin-off from the question from the mom on Public Assistance.
Here's my question:
Why all this "get a job" mentality? SAHM's do have a job, whether recognized by everyone or not.
My husband works. I have stayed at home since my daughter was born in 2007. We are NOT on any assistance (though we had WIC and Medicaid the first 6 months of our daughter's life).
He has a good job, but cost of living is high here, and we literally eek by. We live smaller and have less of the frills because of the lifestyle we have chosen (1 income).
I'm just disturbed by all the heartless ranting from the moms who do work. That's what you want to do, and have your kids in daycare during the day. That's fine. I could have easily chosen that route too. But my feelings are, "Why not me?" "Why shouldn't I be the one to care for my kids?" I'm their mother, and I love being with them. Seems the most natural thing in the world.

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 7:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• thanks for saying that
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• clapping

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• thank-you
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• clapping

Thank you!

livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 8:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• clapping

Thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes and if you can be a SAHM w/o assistance no one has a problem with that. The problem is those who think it's OK to live on PA and with no plans of chaning their their lifestyle so that they can not be on any form of PA, the ones that are wrong are the ones who can work can work. I wish more people would see that we don't care about someone being home with their kids IF it's them funding their wishes or they truly NEED to be on PA at the time. The issue is thinking it's OK to be on PA when you can actually work is just not fair to those who truly could be using that help. PA should be for needs, not desires.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• PA should be for needs, not desires.

DO NOT PANICK TAKE A DEEP BREATH, EXHALE AND SLOWLY REMOVE YOUR HEAD FROM YOUR ASS!!! PA BARELY COVERS NEEDS MUCH LESS DESIRES!!! SHAME ON YOU AGAIN IS IT ONE TROLL ASKING ALL THESE PA QUESTIONS OR IS THERE A WHOLE VILLAGE OF IDIOTS!!! SHAME SHAME SHAME AND YOU ALL KNOW MY NAME BECAUSE I'M NOT AN ANON CHICKEN TROLL YOU PEOPLE IF I CAN EVEN CALL YOU THAT ARE NOT LAW MAKERS OR POLICY MAKERS YOU ARE JUST MEAN, PA IS NOT A LIFESTYLE AND IF IT IS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE WHO LOVES PA, WHOS ULTIMATE GOAL IS TO LEECH OF PA--GUESS WHAT IT DOESN'T PAY THAT WELL---ROFLMAO
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Agreed. I see being a SAHM mom as a real and very important job. Some people just don't and I pity them and their children for it. Thankfully, PA does not require that a mother of small children work for all programs (I believe they do for some though) and moms are able to get help while taking care of their kids. Some people just don't appreciate the role of the SAHM. Others just don't believe one should get PA unless they are at their absolute poorest while working the maximum at a paying job. We just can't change them.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thank you.

I am a SAHM and I am on PA for some things I have WIC and I have some welfare insurance. My moms insurance from work covers about 90% and welfare covers the last 10%.
    These working moms that say they don't want to pay to take care of my child need to realize that they aren't the only ones who pay taxes. My parents, husband, grandparents, family all pay taxes. I don't plan on being on PA for the rest of my life just until I can finish school and get into a good paying job.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Go girl!!!

I love being a SAHM. I got sick of being pay check to paycheck so I started to work from home. I love it! It gives me a feeling of self worth. I have three kids 5,3,1. So life is crazy but I work when they are sleeping, nap or bedtime. it really help pay those bills that keep going up. My house is small so having the extra money is helping us save for a bigger one. For more info on what I do from home check out my website. I love to help other SAHM have a better life! Be home with your kids they need you and they grow so fast!

Moriah
    WWW.WorkingGreenMoms.com

Mlanglois7@cox.net
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 10:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009