Bad@ss temper tantrums...... HELP!!!

My son is 20 months old. He throws these REALLY bad temper tantrums when we get on to him. We have tried putting him in time out in his playpen (we remove all toys and ect. from the pen) to making him sit in one place in the floor.... He likes to raise his hand like he is going to hit us and we pop his hand and tell him no..... We have tried everything we can think of.... I am recently divorced and my ex's family let him get away with anything even if I said no and tried to disipline. I am trying to undo all that damage and I need all the advice I can get... Also how did you get your boy potty trained and how long did it take? NO BASHING ON ANYTHING IN THIS POST! I just want advice and opinions... Thanks

aquarianmom69

Asked by aquarianmom69 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When i son (18m) does that i walk away act like i dont hear him and within a min. he stops because he doesnt get a reaction from me
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 8:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You can't potty train a child until the child shows signs of being ready and/or interested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• he shows interest but its difficult b/c when he stays with my parents they dont keep up with the training
    aquarianmom69

Answer by aquarianmom69 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i know how that feels, you work so hard to keep your kids under control but then you have you parents watch them and it all goes to hell
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 9:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• tell me about it. However the problem WAS my ex's family.. THey nolonger see my son due to the fact that I found out they gave beer to my son when I was at work one day... they havent seen him since... Thank God he is healthy
    aquarianmom69

Answer by aquarianmom69 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• OMG giving Beer to a baby?! Some people.. I think due to the recent changes, that may have something to due with the type of tantrums he's having. Just be consistant in your approach and attempts... and only time makes those go aaway. My son is 22 months and we can no longer go out to eat anywhere and i just got 3 back to back examples of why he can't run errands with me for a while either.. tantrum city! lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• damn yea there have been a lot of changes these past 6 months but the past 4 months have been constant if you get that.... it is hard having to put up with tantrums and on top of that we are ttc now and I can only imagine how jealous he will be...... oh boy!
    aquarianmom69

Answer by aquarianmom69 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2009