For the mommies that ERF...

I have been reading a lot about ERF, and im so confused on what to do. I have a DD that is 30 moths (2 1/2 years) and she has been FF since 1. She is longer, but still only weighs about 30lbs..

For those of you that ERF, why, and where can I find good information on it? I think it might be best... but im really confused.

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 8:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is currently recommended by the AAP to keep your child RF until at least 2 yrs and 30 lbs. This is a new recommendation that was a long time coming. It doesn't matter if feet or legs touch the seat. That doesn't pose a danger. The most common seats have a RF limit of 35 lbs, and the height varies, as some kids are longer in the torso, and some have longer legs. The standard for height limits in a RF seat is as long as your child has one inch of hard shell above his/her head, then it's fine. Once it becomes LESS then one inch, it's time to either turn forward or purchase a seat with a higher shell.

Here is a good source of information:
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

There are many more places to find info on this, there are a few car seat groups here, and a really good one on MySpace also. I'll help with any questions that I know the answer to, so feel free to ask.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What is ERF?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Extended Rear Facing
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 8:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What is best is to have your child FF if her feet or hitting the back of the sit RF. FF in the middle of the back sit is the safeiest. That's what my red cross center told me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 20lbs and 1 yrs old is facing forward.. unless shorter u could keep her there longer but im sure she is fine FF.. my daughter got to big for her RF carseat my daughter bought her a FF n RF carseat and it helped a lot.. she was 1 but not 20 lbs..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• ok so i ment MY DAD bought not my daughter lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just a note about the 1 yr and 20 rule: It's the MINIMUM that you can turn your child. It doesn't mean that you HAVE TO turn your child at that point, just that it's illegal and unsafe to turn them before that point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• READ ME. OK I FF MY DD FROM 12-27MTS. ANDTHEN I DISCOVER ERF I TUR MY DD AROUND SHE IS 30 MTS NOW AND 28LBS. I SAW ALOT OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON THESUBJECT ABD ALOT OF MOMS HERE GAVE ME INFO. SHE IS RF ON A COSCO SCENERA AND IT WAS $55. WHY AFTER SEEING ALL THOSE VIDEOS IKNEW IT WAS BEST. I STILL WANNASMACK MYSELF FOR NOT DOING IT EARLY
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• FF before you truly have to is not ok. You just turn the convertible seat back around. It is dafer and not hard at all. Her legs will be fine =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009