I need to take away the binki but need advice!

My daughter will be 2 in February and the dentist said that we should take it away before she turns 2. I would like to take it away from her little by little but I need some advice on how to do it.. I have done the only get it when you go to bed thing, the try to put her to bed at night, and anything else possible. She doesn't use it all day when she is at my moms house and as soon as she comes home she finds one and I can't take it away. Does any one have some type of advice for taking it away? Please Help!

BellasMommy210

Asked by BellasMommy210 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I was a baby my Mom told me my Paci and bottle was trash and it had poopoo on it and needed to be thrown away. I threw it away and never asked for it again.. It may work for your baby...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I tried something along those lines and through one away and she screamed, cried, had a fit and then went into the trash and grabbed it right out.. She was fine giving up her bottle but this is over the top
    BellasMommy210

Answer by BellasMommy210 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• just take it, you are the parent! she will cry for a day or two, but she'll get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My DS was 2 when I decided it was time to take it away. He would use it for bed-time, and sometimes during the day. Well this is what I did. I'm a SAHM so he is always with me,he watches me do my cleaning..so he would watch me pass the vacuum,and ask where the trash went..I would tell him "oh it went bye bye,and its all gone" so one day he had his binki on top of the ottoman, so I got it and said is it time for binki to go bye-bye, he said yes..so I pretended that the vacuum sucked it up,he started laughing and kept saying bye-bye binki..hope that helps.. : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• This is what worked for us:
    Couldn't have it at bath & meal times.
    Then couldn't have it inside stores/restaurants (could have it in the car, but would have to leave it there any time we got out of the car on outings)
    Then couldn't take it to town with us.
    Then we started "stealing" it after baby went to sleep... and when they awoke in the morning, they couldn't have it 'til after breakfast.... then 'til after lunch... then 'til after dinner.
    Then ONLY at nap & bedtimes.
    Then only at bedtime.

And eventually.... baby forgot about it alltogether (or just didn't care about it enough to argue).

Don't put a deadline on it, though. Could take a while. Mine had paci's (well, 2 of them anyways) 'til they were about 4.... no teeth issues from it either, btw.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would through them out while she's asleep or gone, and then tell her that she's a big girl now and doesn't need them anymore and then get her something special to help her feel like a big girl. Thats what i did with my son and it worked great. She might be upset for a while but she'll get over it fast. good luck!
    sweetmissa47

Answer by sweetmissa47 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thats a good idea! my daughter loves to clean and just leaves hers where ever and her new favorit fraze is bye bye so Ill have to try that will one of them and see where it gets me! Ill keep one for back up and hopefully this can make an improvement! thanks a bunch!

BellasMommy210

Answer by BellasMommy210 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My son traded his for an Nintendo 64 game system........LOL! He was 4 1/2 when I decided we better get rid of it. It never bothered his teeth.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I never gave my kids pacis just because I figured it was 1 more thing to take away... but with me, my mom had a "big girl day'' party for me. She told me about it before hand and really built it up and got me excited about the day I turned into a big girl. On the day oof the party everybody brought me a very small gift and as they left I traded them my one of my pacis each for a gift. She said I was so excited about my presents and being a ''big girl'' that it was no biggie. I also saw on that show super nanny a lady with the same problem, she had the kids leave thier paci out for the binki fairy and the ''fairy'' left them a little basket with toys; super nanny said it's best to do it all at once and throw them away so you can't go back. Good luck, I know it can be a big deal.
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 10:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• This worked for me when I took my daughters bottle away. She watches Dora, so this would only work if they know the characters on Dora, but I told her that swiper swiped it haha. The next few days she yelled at swiper when he came on tv but didnt mention it otherwise.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009