Paid maternity leave vs welfare

This is more towards the Canadian mommies.
In Canada we get a year paid maternity leave. It's based on your income the 26 weeks before you start your leave. Basically you get 55%. So I get $848 a month. My husband works full time so even without that money (which I stop getting in November) we are fine, and Iwill still not be going back to work.
But non-parents I talk to think that I'm lazy for not going back to work right away, and that I'm on welfare.
Do you think it's lazy to take the year maternity leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hell no. If it's offered take it. Would you not use vacation days?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm taking the full year. You pay into it every paycheck so take advantage of it.
    I love Canada. On top of my maternity benefits I get 315 a month for my baby bonus. All mothers are entitled to this money, not just poor ones.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If your government will give you money to stay home with your child for a year. Go for it. We Americans do not get that privilege.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You said and that you're on welfare too. That explains why they think the way they do. But if the governement didn't earn the money it's not fair of them to do things that do not benifit everyone as equally as possible. who is footing the bill for everyone to take a year off? Seems like someone is getting more while some are left with only the bill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm footing the bill by paying into it every paycheck. This is why it's based on how much money you made in the 26 weeks before your leave starts. It's similar to unemployment.
    That's the whole thing about Canada. Everyone pitches in and everyone gets taken care of (healthcare, maternity leave, the option of getting unemployment if you get laid off from your job etc)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No I'm not on welfare. I said they think I am for taking a years maternity leave. Everyone is allowed to take this leave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• last 2 posts are by OP btw
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Oh, wow. I wish they had this in the States. I would SO take that. Stupid question but is that why stuff is more expensive in Canada? It seems worth it......
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well I don't know what your taxes are like in the states, but in Ontario we pay 14% on everything we buy. So if something is 1 dollar, it's actually $1.14.
    Plus you know, conversion rates and stuff
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Take the year it will be nice for you and your baby and I don't know but surely if you decided to go back to work before the year is up u can, Right? Anyways I say take the year because it will be a year you can't get back and you won't have to worry about missing any of the baby's firsts. So what if they think you are lazy it's not like you aren't going to be caring for a baby taking care of the house and your hubby. Thats not lazy.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009