PA success stories?

OK, PA is a hot topic today. Mixed in the responses are some great stories about people using PA as a temporary fix and moving on to better things. Sometimes those women get lost in the shuffle of the conversation. They need to be celebrated. So ladies... toot your horn... tell us your success stories!

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was on PA for one year after I split with my dd's father. For that year, I went to courses through our local tech. school and got a certificate. I also took the Civil Service Exam in our county for clerk. Also, while I was on PA I was working off my grant in the fileroom at DSS. In NY it's called workfare. Eventually, a Clerk position became available and I was hired on the day of my interview. :o)

I ended up working at Social Services for five years, until after married and had my son and became a SAHM. I honestly believe the workfare program made a real difference in my life and I so wish it would be expanded. It serves two purposes. Not only did it keep me from getting "comfortable" on PA, but it gave me real job experience that, in my case, lead to a FT job with benefits and allowed me the PLEASURE and DIGNITY of taking care of my dd all by myself. It wasn't easy, but it was a very valuable life lesson.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I recently got off "Parental Assistance"

I primarily owe it to the book "Total Money Make Over: by Dave Ramsey. It really helped us reign in the spending, and get on a budget we could keep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Politics & Current Events

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• long life story short, i ended up being a single mom with 2 kids. i was 24, and decided i needed to start making better choices and bring myself up out of the gutter. i took full advantage of PA. i had help w/ housing, medicaid, groceries, and i even went to jr. college on PA. after i graduated with my associates degree, i still had some help for a little bit. but after moving to a new town (not the town i went to college in) and getting settled for a few months, i found a great job that was related to what my associates degree was in. and i got off PA. i straightened myself out. and i really dont think i would have been able to do that if it werent for the help i received from PA. sure, so many people abuse it. but i had to remember it was not a lifestyle~it was just something there to help me become better for my kids and for myself.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 10:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Bravo for you all!!! Congratulations! This is what PA was meant to do. :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am a little sad that the other PA post has close to 200 replies,- many celebrating life on PA yet so few people want to stop by this one and give these amazing women their much deserved "high five". What does that say about us? I agree, way to go ladies!!! You are an inspiration... I have been lucky-so far, but I know if things turn for the worse, I can and will make it!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Most people make it a lifestyle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My mom is a PA success story! She used PA for a few months when I was an infant. I have a master's degree and a business, my sister is working on an MD/PhD, and my brother is going into politics to keep our social policies alive. I HATE the misconception that children raised by mothers on PA are failures. Mother's bold enough to get PA and make it work for them have awesome kids. Who respect their choice and hard work!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• congrats to all of u ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009