How did you manage to stay off of PA?

I would like those who have never been on PA to share what it is they did and are doing now to avoid being on PA? This is for educational purposes only. Lets try to stay postive.

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 10:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Politics & Current Events

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• By the skin of my teeth. After I had to close my store we burned through thousands of dollars in savings, thank goodness I found a job at the last possible second, and hubs found one soon after. We work opposite shifts to save on daycare, it is very tough on our family. My husband as reformed our business as whosale/online and thank goodness we are making a small additional income, otherwise we certainly would have trouble affording groceries, since the jobs we took pay well below what we used to earn. As it is we are tight but making it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My husband and I both went to college then we both started careers. We worked and saved our money. We did travel during that time some. When we were 30 our home was paid off and we had a very nice nest egg and decided to starte our family. We have 5 children and I am at home now. My husband has continued his education and advanced at work. He positions himself so he is always valuable even when the company is making cuts. He did lose his job last year but since our home was paid off and we pay cash for cars we were just fine. We did not touch our savings and lived off his unemployment. He has an even better job now as a Vice President of a company. We could have lived well a very long time had he stayed unemployed.

We both came from very poor homes and were raised by teen parents. I think we both knew getting out of poverty would require us delaying our family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We waited to have children till we felt we were financially secure to have them and care for them. We both worked our way through Community College working various crappy jobs. Retail, waitress, painting houses. You name it. We didn't have computers and were constantly at the library. It made us appreciate buying a computer more.We graduated with Associates degrees Then we got jobs and worked. While our friends were being new parents at the age of 21 and struggling even while dependent on PA, we were building our first home. Put a nice chunk down on our first home.It's a manufactured home that we saved and worked hard to by and furnish without credit cards. It's our American Dream. Now we have 3 young children and we can afford for me to work part time at nights when he is home to be with the kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Ironically by keeping the internet. I went back into the restaurant as a server as soon as dh got laid off, but it took almost a month to get on the schedule. He used craigslist to find odd jobs, and got a gig that took him until his new job started three months later. All the preliminary testing was done online as well, which is why I laugh/cry when I hear people tell the poor they shouldn't have internet. Plus I had a garden.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My family was on PA a few years ago when I did foster care. I had 6 kids, 4 were adopted by me at the time and 2 were still foster kids. I quit my outside the house job to be home as the kids were all medically fragile and although I started my own business, before it turned a profit, it wasn't enough to support us so PA was needed.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Are you talking about single Mom's? Or Just any type of family.

Answer by louise2 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• spend less than you make, stay away from credit cards, didnt get a car until we saved enough to pay in cash, the list goes on and on
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My deadbeat dad left us to start a new family. My mom had 3 kids and had never had a job. Whe worked 2 & 3 jobs at a time the whole time I was growing up. We never had PA .

Hubby and I both worked our way through college. We saved money before having kids. I had our first when I was 31. My hubby has worked his way up the military ladder and is a high ranking officer. I started a business with a sewing machine and less than $100 in our guest room 4 years ago. It is now a very successful small manufacturing company with no debt.

Keys:
    Go to college - there are grants and loans. You can also go for free in some states if you are a member of the National Guard.
    Wait to have children- this one can be a big challenge!!
    Don't take on debt - a mortgage is okay as long as it is affordable. I am talking about credit cards.
    Live below your means.
    SAVE SAVE SAVE!

:) to you OP!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We work. We didn't have a child when we bought our home. We don't have car payments. We don't do credit cards (only 1 for emergencies). We pay cash for everything we buy. We bank our tax return for emergencies also. We only go on vacation every other year...and do day trips during the summer and winter.
    There are plenty of things you can do.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009