Back Labor?

Quick question for anyone that has had or knows anything about back labor. I have been getting these really bad crampy type pains in my lower back, off and on for the last hour or so.. Im not really having contractions, I've only had like one or two and they aren't that painful...

Can you have back labor without having strong contractions?

(BTW, im 36 weeks 4 days, and at my last appointment, my dr said it could be any day. I went into early labor last week and dialated to a 2.. but they stopped it went a shot..)

livingrlovesong

Asked by livingrlovesong at 10:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had back labor with my first, he was posterior with a turned face (thats what caused the back labor). They are contractions that come from the back, i could not feel them in the front at all. I had a natural birth with him and it took me 3 hours to push him out. The thing is that with back labor the best thing to do is to move around, the worst thing you can do is to be confined to a bed.
    I was not impressed with the pain, i remember thinking "is this it?" right after he was born.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes! I had back labor for 8 hours. I had an all natural labor and delivery so I felt every single thing but I still to this day don't know what a regular contraction feels like.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thanks! Im trying not to jinx myself, but I really hope this is it!
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 10:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yep. I had back and front labor, and if they don't hurt... well, I'm not honestly going to tell you it's not real labor, because it might be.
    But, I know when I was freaking out about labor and grilling all my friends with kids on what contractions feel like and how would I know? They all told me, "You'll know. I promise."
    And sure enough. I did. I just knew it. It did start off with twinges, I kind of ignored it. Then as the hours moved on, they got more and more intense.
    You can't talk, you want to strangle someone when they keep asking you questions while a contraction is going on. It's a sharp like.. muscle spasm - slightly akin to a Charley horse. You can tell when a contraction is coming because everything tightens up.. and it tightens..and it tightens...and it tightens. Just when you're about to scream - it abates.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thanks. I know what front labor feels like, i mean Im having contractions that are uncomfortable where my whole stomach tightens and feels really crampy. But I have no idea what back labor is like.
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 11:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I have to disagree with the PP, every woman's labor is different. I didnt have any drugs at all and I never "wanted to scream" or anything that dramatic. I'm not bragging or saying I'm superman or anything...It just honestly, truly was NOT that bad for me. It never hurt so bad I couldnt stand it or anything close. Dont get me wrong, it was no picnic. It was certainly intense and painful. It just wasnt "all that' for ME anyway.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2009