moist spots in pants & on bed...

doesn't smell like pee, but doesn't smell sweet like i was told my water would smell like. smells kind of musky (how hubby described it). his grandmother (who we lived with & used to work in an L&D about 10yrs ago) says if it was my water it would be running down my leg or i would be having contractions so she thinks i have just urinated. i dont even recall anything feeling like it was leaking, let alone peeing. any suggestions on what this might be & what i should do? his grandmother thinks it is pointless to drive the 45min to the hospital for what she thinks is just urine. i am 34w 5d if that makes a difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Amniotic fluid can have a slight bleachy smell as well. Your water can "break" and it can just be a few drops, it doesn't have to run down your leg & contractions don't always start right away. Lie down for a few minutes & then stand up quickly. If it was your water breaking, the change in position & gravity might make some more come out. If you are truly concerned, you should call your doctor or nurse or go to the hospital. It would be much worse for you to stress over this.

Not be be too graphic, but when I was pregnant with DS, a nurse told me that some women have more vaginal fluid than normal--almost like when you are turned on for sex except all the time. That could be what is going on with you but again, if you have any concerns, call your provider. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Unless you've been drinking tons of water, you would know if it was urine bc of the smell. I don't know what it smells like when your water breaks, but if you are having contractions that last a min every 5min you should go to hospital.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Warning TMI. Could it have been water trapped in the vagina. One night after I had a bath I was getting dressed and some water came out when I lifted my leg. I thought at first it might have been my water but then it didn't happen again. I was 28 weeks at that time and so glad it wasn't my water breaking.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Hang out and see what happens. When my water broke it was really uneventful...no gush, just a clear liquid slowly coming out. It wasn't even much more than the discharge I was having before my water broke. My contractions didn't start for about 2 hours afterwards and when they did, they were very mild at first...like period cramps. Then they got closer together and stronger and I went to the hospital thinking they were going to send me home and low and behold, I was in labor. I was almost 37 weeks.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sounds like pregnancy discharge.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009