carseats from fire dept./police dept.

has anyone gotten a infant carseat from their local fire/police dept? how did you go about doing that? we might have to get one from them but i dont want to look like a idiot. and i dont know if our police or fire dept even offer them. and are they used and old? or new or at least up to date? i dont want to sound picky but i just want my baby to be safe

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just call and ask them, they will tell you any details you need to know. Even if they are older and used, they will be certified safe. They can also test your baby's seat after an accident (obviously for a minor one) to see if it needs replaced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I haven't ever heard of being able to get a car seat from the police or fire department. I know a lot of fire departments will have free carseat checks...meaning they will make sure it is installed correctly and teach you how to install it. As for getting a used car seat, the general rule is that you don't want anything older than 3 years because standards change so often. Do you know anyone who had a baby recently who is done with their infant seat? A lot of times you can borrow one from someone who is keeping theirs for their next child. They just aren't in that first car seat very long...a year max in most cases. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I've never heard of them just giving away carseats - now, replacing bad ones at checks, yes, but just handing them out to every tom, dick & harry? No. Go buy one...if you can't afford it...well, I'll be nice and not finish my thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Call and ask, our fire and police dept dont do that, but they told me about a place called (CANDY-Citizens Against Needless Death in Youth) that will rent/ loan them out. Maybe you have a program like that near you. I doubt they have old ones, because carseats do expire. What kind of seat do you need? If you are looking for a convertible then the Cosco Scenera is only $50 at walmart and it is one of the most recommended carseats. It can be tough buying carseats, they are expensive, do you have anything you can sell? We had to do that to get our carseats, both kids outgrew their within a week of eachother so that was 2 Brand new seats we had to buy so it was hard coming up with over $300 in a week, but it is possible....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2009