Would you use your best friends breast milk?

I was never a heavy producer of breast milk. (I had previous breast surgeries) My baby is 8.5 months old and I let her try to get what she can and I also express what little I get a day. Probably 1/4 of an ounce.

My best friend just had a baby and is over producing milk. She donates her milk to a local hospital but recently, the hospital denied her milk because they are out of freezer space.

She offered to give me milk and I am "iffy" on it.

Input?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If breast milk is best for babies who cares whose it is as long as it's safe, she has no diseases or smokes or drinks or whatever else that is harmful.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If I wasn't producing enough milk I would use it.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• sure i would use it,but i would watch baby around her,becouse they can smell it pretty good.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No I wouldn't. It's fine of course, no judgement from me, if thats what you decide to do. I've heard of women doing this and I think it's a wonderful thing, just not for me. However, I'm not in that situation so maybe I would feel diffrently if I were. While thinking about it in reverse, as in "what if my bestfriend had a baby and wanted to breastfeed but couldn't, would I donate my breastmilk to her"? Most definitely my answer would be yes.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, I would. Simple as that :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Absolutely without question. The donor being your best friend, I am sure you know her better then anyone, that coupled with the fact that the hospital has been taking her donor milk makes it a no brainer. If you wish your child to have more breastmilk go for it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Absolutely without question. The donor being your best friend, I am sure you know her better then anyone, that coupled with the fact that the hospital has been taking her donor milk makes it a no brainer. If you wish your child to have more breastmilk go for it!

ditto!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes i would, the hospital takes her milk so that means that its safe to do so! I would much rather give donated milk than formula.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No question...yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2009