Are Noggin babies more advanced?

My daughter LOVES Noggin. She is 8.5 months and can speak and use about 10 words appropriately. I have over 10 nieces and nephews all young *BIG FAMILY* and the ones that watched Noggin are ahead socially, verbally, and have better manners.

What do you think?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are very advanced too. They love to watch it and sing and say what they say. It's so cute. It is possible.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It is possible ...but i would not go as far as to say that if you want your child to be advanced you should let them watch Noggin.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html

I think it's a matter of bigger picture. yes these things can help if used as supplimental learning tools. If you continue to talk to your child and use these different shows to help introduce new words, then your baby will advance. But noggin in and of itself is not what will help your child learn and grow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i'm sold where can i get noggin i don't have cable.. just dvd player and vhs player
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I dont have tv anymore just didnt want my 5 yr old being influenced by Zach & cody and Hannah M.
    so we have internet{lol} BUT i have programmed into her favorites the sites that are educational/fun. Noggin being one of them. I dont know as far as babies learning stuff from tv,i have a friend who got "my baby can read" for son that was a year old and hes 2 now ,barely talks..so not sure bout that..but i def.think when a kid reaches school age get them interested in learning as many ways possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son is a PBS kid and he's advanced for his age. But, my oldest didn't watch any kids tv until he was about 4 or 5 and he too is advanced. So I don't think it's really the tv but everything else that happens around them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No. Actually the have linked early TV watching to ADD and other learning disabilities. They may have picked up language from the TV, but I doubt that's better than a parent talking to them and helping them learn language, but if you're unwilling to work with them I suppose Noggin is better than nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Actually they have NOT linked watching TV to ADD and other learning disabilities. There was thought to be a slight correlation, but causation was NEVER shown.

There is also a difference between a kid watching TV once in a while and watching it all the time becoming a couch potato...that is where some children tend to become obese.

Some people need to check their FACTS before posting crap on here.

And how DARE you suggest that any mother is unwilling to work with her kid just because she lets it watch a little TV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• There is a lot of evidence that TV before age 2 does more damage than good. My daughter did not watch TV/videos until almost 3; she started speaking at 7.5 months, spoke in complete sentence at 18 months and was reading and tying her shoes by age 4

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• We looove some of the shows on Noggin, but I do not think it is responsible for the fact that my son is above average in intelligence. I think working with him, talking to him and playing with him is responsible, that and the fact that he may just be naturally bright.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2009