Great news on HIV/ AIDS vaccine! but...

it is only 30% effective but it is a new new hope for many and one step closer to killing the virus.

The Vaccine is not approved yet, and is far from doing so since it is only 30% effective and they havent tested for side effects.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/24/BANM19S3NR.DTL&tsp=1

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/daids/vaccine/Science/VRTT/00_Main.htm

Two questions;

Would you get it, if approved and proven effective, or advice your kids to. (Please set aside the Autism/ Vaccine debate please)

And..

Do you think we not only should see a real vaccine soon but a cure for this deadly disease in the near furture?

viridian

Asked by viridian at 11:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The reason I set said to set it aside is because it is only a theory that focused on Thimerosal, which is not in the HIV/AIDS vaccine.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 12:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• and because of this.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/12/autism.vaccines/index.html
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 12:06 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would definately get it and probably have my kids get it, or if they are old enough to decide on their own I would definately advise them to get it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, I know I am gonna get H E double hockey sticks for this but, I would because of my job (Nurse midwife) so coming in contact with someone with it is likely for me. I wouldn't make my son get it until he is old enough to make that decision. But, here comes the part where I get reamed! I think if it is successful and effective I think anyone who wants to become a citizen should be required to get it. They make them get all the other vaccines even Gardisil. They should have to have this one definitely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Anon. I applaud you for that because its a great idea. I wish I thought of that. Foreigners do tend to bring disease. I would say that the only exception would be if they are allergic to an ingredient or because it is against their religious beliefs. I'm also for giving it to everyone in AIDS stricken countries. AIDS greatly has dropped in US, but accidental infection can happen from rape, touching a needle, even car accidents. Hospitals are such a high risk, drug rehabs are too. I feel bad for any nurse or doctor infected with it because they were trying to save a life. When HIV turns into AIDS its like being on deathrow. And a lot of people think of HIV only as a STD, but many infected people got it from a organ donation or blood transfusion, including people our age since they didn't start testing for it til 1985.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 2:35 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think the percentage is high enough for it to be worth it. I would want to know it's safe and see that percentage increase well past 50%. Also I don't agree with people having to get the AIDS vaccine to become a citizen. If they don't have HIV/AIDS then they shouldn't have to get. It would be more reasonable to say anyone who travels a lot to developing countries should because they run a higher risk by being in so many places. Not the foreigner who has no disease and isn't travelling all around the world.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No. We wouldn't, until it has been around for a LOT longer. Things come out all the time that pass all these tests, and then get pulled from the market and you see six dozen commercials an hour during judge Judy about them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• AIDS is a very rare disease in most places. No way I would get it or let my kids get it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• "Also I don't agree with people having to get the AIDS vaccine to become a citizen. If they don't have HIV/AIDS then they shouldn't have to get"

Huh? A vaccine prevents you from getting it, if you already have it it won't make a difference. And, "The history of HIV/AIDS in the United States began in about 1969, when HIV likely entered the United States through a single infected immigrant from Haiti".-Wikipedia.

And, I even said its not FDA approved it just got out of the trial and now they are looking to what can increase the effective to make it available. And yes here in the US its rare, but we use condoms and have alot of resources, but countries we vacation to, like Jamaica and the Caribbean have a high rate of infected people.
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 8:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Currently, immigration law requires that immigrants have proof of vaccination against―

* Mumps
    * Measles
    * Rubella
    * Polio
    * Tetanus and diphtheria
    * Pertussis
    * Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib)
    * Hepatitis B
    * Any other vaccinations recommended by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
    And, the HPV vaccine is required for girls and women between 12 -26years.
    Which Bush is the one who put that into play.
    http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/15/immigrant-gardasil/
    viridian

Answer by viridian at 9:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2009