Soy formula

My daughter has been on Good Start SoyPlus for about 6 months. She does really well on it. I went out tonight to get more formula. When I went to the store, I discovered they do not sell it anymore. So I ran to another store to discover they do not sell it either. She has a touchy tummy and that is what has worked best for her out of everthing we tried. So, I was wondering, as anyone tried the Simalac Isomil Soy formula? Does it work for you little one? Any problems with babies with touchy tummies. We are going to start transitioning her to the simalac because I have no other choice right now.

And before BF/FF drama starts, I know breast milk is best but we had to many problems with it and we did what was best for our daughter.

Thanks for any help you can offer

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are no problems with soy formula, anon. And your estimated loss of 10 IQ points is bullshit. If you read the actual freakin' study, there was a difference of TWO points in less than 2% of the sample!!!! Even the authors say there is no statistical significance to it! Keep your crap to yourself especially when you're giving WRONG INFORMATION! (oh...and they did not do a study between soy and milk based, so shut your trap) What about all those moms, especially in Asian countries, who have soy as a main part of their diet and then breastfeed? Their kids are just fine. Moron.

OP.....My son was on soy formula, however he was on Enfamil brand. Whichever you try, do it as slowly as you can...but it does take a week for the old formula to be out of her system, and another week before you can really tell if there is any affect on her. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I use Similac Isomil Advance. And my dd is 4 months old we have used it for 2 months now with no problems.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my daughter is on the isomil soy formula. i was using the isomil advance but we found out she was lactose intolerant. she's fine with it. gaining weight, less gassy and less spit uppie i know it's not a word but still. tlk to your pedi, he'll suggest diff types
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 12:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• When my daughter was little she had a very touchy stomach. Even the Soy would hurt her. The only thing she could tolerate was enfamil nutramigen. Mind you, it is just about the most expensive formula on the market. It was worth it to know that she wasn't in pain anymore. Luckily with both of my boys I've been able to breast feed so we no longer have those issues.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:18 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Similca was VERY tough in my ds tummy. started with regualr, then switched to soy but never really made a huge difference. I'd try Good Start before switching to Similac.
    RVTMommy

Answer by RVTMommy at 12:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i forgot to mention! ther is a typ of formula tht similac makes for those rare children tht cant tolerate soy or milk based formulas. its expensiv, lik the above says, but u can order a sample can frm the website nd try it out
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 1:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• There are many problems with soy formula. Go to google and research it yourself. If you can get her back on cow's milk formula now that she is older it would be much better. There is no way I would give my child soy formula. I would relactate, pump, get breastmilk from other moms, or figure out a way to get milk from a milk bank.

It's estimated formula fed babies loose around 10 IQ points. It's worse with soy formula. Keep that in mind as your child is growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Thanks everyone. She is very lactose intolerent (as am I, very lactose intolerent). We are not even going to try milk again until she is a year old. I can not see her go through that pain again at such a tiny age. I would love to stick with Good Start SoyPlus but the places around here do not sell it anymore so I have to make a change so I do not have to drive 25 miles to get to a store that does sell it. We are going to transition her slowly and see how it goes. If not, then I may have to order it which is not what I am wanting to do.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Wow, anon :53!!!

My kid was on soy formula and has a measured IQ of over 130! By your reckoning, he should be a super genius if he hadn't had his digestive problems!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2009