4 month old...hernia???

my son went for his 4 month check up today, my sister (a nurse) had told me that his stomach muscles looked funny and i should bring this up (something i'd notice but didn't think twice about). what happens, is when he cries or uses stomach muscles, right in between the bottom of his rib cage, from the end of the sternum down to the belly button sticks out. not like bloating a muscle or something actually sticks out. the doc he saw today (not his regular doc, his regular doc was out sick) says its a hernia, and that if it doesn't repair itself w/in a yr (by age 1) they'll have to do surgery. however i've done some research on the internet now, and everything says a hernia will not heal itself, the only treatment is surgery. anyone know anything about this from experience? i'm considering calling the doc tomorrow and asking if i can bring him back in and go over this more, b/c now that i've researched and realized exactly CONT

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• usually babies can "grow into" a hernia, when an adult gets one it cannot heal itself because it is a tear in the muscle, but in babies its usually just muscles that havent closed up all the way yet. It is possible for it to get better with time. my dd had a horrible umbillical hernia at birth, so bad to where i had to look twice because i thought she had a penis! and by 3 months it had closed on its own and she has a perfect little innie now.
    RVTMommy

Answer by RVTMommy at 12:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• what a hernia is (yes i did not know, no i did not ask, he told me right after he got his shots so i was preoccupied and when he said it may heal itself i just thought ok good no worries for a year unless it gets worse) i didn't think to ask what exactly it meant. so anyways, anyone's baby (or anyone w/experience w/a hernia) have this, and know more information that would be helpful to me would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My daughter dr told meh that she might have hernia...so I got worried but my baby was a cry baby now she's 14..I went to give her shots a week ago and dr told meh again that it's a small hernia....and he said that the let it heal till there bout 2yrs..
    starz16

Answer by starz16 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes an infant with a hernia can be fine without surgery. Not always but often enough. DS had a hernia, like the other ladies it was in his belly button. Healed up after on it's own. His wasn't as bad as the pp's but it was definately noticeable, and like her child's now he has a perfect innie too. It does happen. On the other hand. My stepson had a hernia down yonder and it didn't heal on it's own so he needed surgery. I think it really depends on the child.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• He may not need surgery. They thought my son had a hernia, but it ended up being something else that corrected itself. My son also had issues with his penis (hypospadia) which needed to get corrected with surgery.....let me tell you that you REALLY want to wait this one out. If it corrects itself (and I've known a few that have) that is optimum. Surgery is really not fun, even for something as common as that.

So I'm hoping your baby's hernia fixes itself and that he doesn't need surgery.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son had one and it healed itself. Don't believe everything you read on the internet....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son had one but it was in his testical.He was almost 10 when we found it but his doc said it was a birth defect that just took awhile to show itself.It was a musle that didnt properly grow into place.He had to have surgery and he was fine. They put kind of like a lttle mesh net in the place so his intestine wouldnt come back through the hole ,but I'm not sure about in the belly for a baby.Good luck hun I think its pretty common so I'm sure your LO will be fine.
    kat247

Answer by kat247 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• the thing that freaks me out, is that all the ones it mentions healing on its own are the ones that are in the belly button area, not the upper part of the stomach. and thats where his is, well at least where it starts. and the fact that i had intestinal surgery at 6 months, so i wonder if it could end up being a problem for him. i'm waiting on my mom to call me back, and he is going back to his regular doc next week just so i can ask some questions and get a doc i know and trusts opinion on it. i don't want my child to have to have surgery, however if its something else that needs surgery now, i'd rather know i did all i could to make sure that happens than wait a year and have it get worse and affect him in the long run. i've been through my now 3 1/2 yr old having her tonsils and adenoids out at age 2, so i know its not fun w/kids.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2009