is there a way to miss a twin for the entire pregnancy???

has this ever happened to anyone??? i've been feeling a lot of movements in all areas simultaneously so DH was joking that i am probably just having twins. i laughed knowing he was joking, but ever since it has been a curiosity if that ever actually happens...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i don't believe so, not with modern day technollogy. plus it's so hard sometimes! i have em i know!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• babies can streatch out pretty far in there & hit you on one side & the other at the same time. doubtful its twins. there's just too much technology now days to miss that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I've heard that it does. That one will hide behind the other. Then again, I believe in the slim chances. I got pregnant on the pill and with mirena, and I've had my tubes tied and had a few miscariges. And I was supposed to be a boy. Obviously I wasn't. So I think it is possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yep. True story. My SIL was sitting in the waiting room waiting for an ultrasound. A woman comes out of the ultrasound room, her face white as a ghost. So my SIL asks if she's all right. She says, "I'm due in four days, and I just found out I'm having twins!!!". My SIL talked with her a little longer, and found out that she had gone for all her prenatal appt.'s and had already had an ultrasound at 20 weeks. And they had never found the other twin until then. I would say that until 39.5 weeks pretty much counts as the entire pregnancy.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Wow! I don't have any imput but that would be crazy! Keep us posted if it winds up being true!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• scary thought...im only 13 weeks and looking at my belly pics from dd im the same size now as i was at 5 month with her...lol everyone keeps saying its twins but the tech only seen 1 when i went in for a due date comformation u/s
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:32 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You always show sooner in subsequent pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes it is possible, but it is very rare. If your hormone levels have been normal, and you haven't seen another twin, assuming you are over about 20 weeks, then it is very unlikely that there are two.
    If this is a second pregnancy you will be bigger, you will feel movements sooner and they will seem to be more. Your body is used to them so you know what they are, and recognize them earlier.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:44 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Not to freak you out too much, but my husband, 29, is a triplet. No one knew he was in there until he literally came flying out and someone caught him. I know that was a while ago, but hey, if it can happen then, who knows...
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my SIL is pregnant (8 weeks) and had an ultrasound to check if their was more than one baby in there...she is a twin, her mom is a twin and her grandma is a triplet so she has very high chances of having twins...i told her to get another ultrasound later like 20 weeks just to check...she said she also wants to check at 38 weeks because she has heard of women having twins and not knowing it...one baby can hide behind the other...it does happen...just like those women who dont' even know they are pregnant until they go into labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009