Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I find where water is leaking?

When I run hot water in my kitchen, I can hear water leaking behind my coat closet. Other than waiting for the water damage to show, does anyone know how to determine where the leak is?


Asked by Happywith2girls at 11:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • you may not have an actual leak, if you are only hearing water and not seeing or smelling water, you are probably only hearing the gurgle through the pipes which lie close to the wall and there is little or no insulation. you could call a plumber but you will be charged a service call. they don't work for free. if you start asking around all of hubby's coworkers all your friends, you might find a relative or friend who will come over for free and check it out. if you only hear water when you open the valve, it it likely not leaking. the leak would be present whether you had an open valve or not, because the weak spot or hole would then become another opening and water is under constant pressure, so it would have no choice but to flow continually through the hole or connection.


    Answer by jewjewbee at 8:24 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • You pipes are in the walls? Or in the foundation?

    Answer by PaceMyself at 11:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • we had that problem in the bathroom we found out it was just our in home air conditoning leaking into a tube that lead outside

    Answer by aidensmama8 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • Get a plumber out there for a free estimate. They know how to find leaks in walls.

    Answer by vbruno at 12:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • I think our pipes are in the walls. I can hear the leak when I go downstairs into our garage. Unfortunately, there's no easy way in to the section of wall where I hear the water. We live in WA, so there is no central A/C. (I was surprised to discover that when we moved here last year.) I know the leak occurs only when I put our kitchen faucet on hot. I've tried all the faucets (including bath and shower) in the rest of the house.

    Answer by Happywith2girls at 1:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • You have to open up the wall. If you are in the Chicago-metro area, contact me offflist. My handyman/spouse can definitely diagnose and repair this for you.

    You need to take care of this right away, or you may have a mold problem.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • If water was leaking you would see water damage. If it is just when you turn the hot on in your kitchen it could be when the hot water hits the cold pipes they hiss and creak because the water is warmer then copper pipes. Also, when water is running in a dwelling there is a fresh air release valve that is located in your attic or in the attic releasing air thru a roof stack on your roof. Meaning if you run water, the washer, or flush the toilet these vents are used to suck fresh air in from outside and use the air to push the water into your septic system or other city water system and prevent water from backing up in your house. If these vents were not present water would back up into your house every time you ran some water. These vents can be noisy and sound like water running in your walls, because technically there is, but it's in the pipes.

    Answer by momtotrips at 9:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

  • My husband is a handyman toorkoloms but I do not go around advertising he does great on his own. and we had a water leak.A pipe broke.He went under the house to fix it today.Have it checked out by a handyman or a licenced repair man.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2009