new to staying at home

my Dh and i just recently decided that i shuld quit working and be a stay at home mom. i've been stressed out between working, taking care of a two year old and a 4 month old, cleaning, cooking, as well as doing school work. I was fine for a while despite the being stressed out part (my grades were fine, the house was clean, the fam was gettn fed) but as the weeks go by i see my grades slipping, the house becoming a mess and the only thing that seems to be getting done is getting my family fed. in the mean while i am not the type ofperson that likes to be idle. when i get everything done for the day, what do i do? are there any at home moms who have any advice for coping with staying at home all day?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 12:02 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are gorwn but Im a stay at home wife. You have this wonderful internet to keep your mind busy, or go to the park, take up a craft or just enjoy your kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:12 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Its funny to think that with a 2 year old and a 4 month old you could be idle. I have a nearly 2 year old and I feel like I never stop moving. :)

We do mostly things she likes to do. Go to the park, we paint, bake, shop. when she is otherwise occupied - I am online, sewing, reading, cleaning. We have lots of playdates.

You'll settle in. Find new stuff to do. Volunteer if you can. Get involved in playgroups or parenting groups where you can bring your kids.

The days seem to fill up fast and fly by!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Congrats on deciding to stay home. You are giving your young children a priceless gift!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I really don't know what you mean by idle time. I don't think that is something I've had since I started having babies. If you are lucky enough to have spare time try taking up a hobby that improves your home for your family. Paint, sew, knit, crochet, anything. Not only will you have something for your hands to do but you'll be able to see the fruits of your labor. I see on your profile that you like scrapbooking. You could make scrapbooks for the babies. You know when they grow up and someone falls in love with them they'll be asking for baby pictures. This way you can just hand them their own copy.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i guess if anythng i don want to lose myself wile i stay at home and care for my family. i still want to maintain n identity. wat if i want to do somthng for myself ukno?
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 12:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i have a 5yr old, a 4yr old, a 2yr old and a almost 3month old- i don't get idle time! lmao i barely get all of my chores done- but if I did have time on my hands- i would pack up the kids and take them out especially now that fall is here- this is the best season for walking with the kids- also i would get some books- nora roberts is awesome- also you can take up a hobby- maybe knitting, or needlepoint- i love those types of crafty things, maybe even scrap booking or photography- write a list of things you like to do or want to learn and see if maybe some ideas for keeping busy come to mind
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:05 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What's wrong with the identity of a mom? You are already taking courses. It may take a few months to get used to not working. When my kids were little I would get all my work done in the morning and we would have the rest of the day to have fun. We would go to parks, the zoo, the childrens' museum, ect.

You can get involved with La Leche League or another moms' group.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You will have very little idle time when they're little or at least I never did. They will need you most of the time. I have too much time on my hands now that my kids are in school, but I joined the PTA and because my husband works night, I can spend a little time with him. My evenings are VERY busy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Maybe it would help if you get into a routine? Make a list of all your chores, and things the kids would like to do and make up a daily schedule?This way you will have a 'game plan' for the day, and if you have a spare moment or have idle time would give you an idea of what you could do to fill the time. I am a wahm and sometimes when we get bored being home we go on 'field trips'- we get out of the house and go to the library, go to the park....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• i agree you need to handle your days at home just like you did at work. by schedule and having to be accountable to someone.You. staying at home makes it easy to do anything you want even if that means nothing all day. you're going to have to make a schedule, stick to it and make sure entertaining or playing with kids doesn't prevent you from cleaning your house, laundry, running chores everything else. have everything done by 5pm and then clock out from your day job and sit down to an enjoyable evening with the family.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009