Going on vacation: Is it okay to go to an outdoor concert at a festival with a 2 year old at 10:00pm?

DH and I are taking a trip with our 2 year old little girl. For the past two years we have not had a date night, outting, etc without our daughter with us. She is on a schedule and thrives on it; and I do mean THRIVES on it. You can set you watch to her. :-)

We are going on this trip and at a festival we are attending I really want to stay out late and see Tracy Lawrence; we are talking 10:30 at the latest. I really do want to! DH and I both do not see any harm in us as a family staying out so late for a one time thing.

My mother, on the other hand, says that someone will report us for having a toddler out so late and that we are being selfish, unresponsible parents. (This is the same person that refuses to watch our daughter for more than 20 minutes).

Are we being selfish and unresponsible? Would you do it?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say go for it. It will probably be a lot of fun. Can you bring a stroller so she can sleep? I would have definitely done it. Maybe she'll sleep in the next day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I think your mom is a nut. Your baby should be fine. Just make sure you sit far away from the speakers and bring her a blanket and stroller in case she falls asleep.
    Have fun.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I don't think anyone would report you, that'd be stupid. But I think you do have a bit of a death wish for major sleep deprivation & tons of meltdowns the next few days, if she thrives on a set schedule. It'll just be asking for trouble where she's concerned IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• 10 om IS late for a toddler to be up. Your the parent though. Stay well away from the speakers so you dont damage the childs ears
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:09 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• you might have a very tired and cranky baby but it is not child abuse.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My older sons went to their 1st concert (outside at a speedway) in 1994 when they were 7, 6, 3 and 2. We were there all day and by the time 9p rolled around all 4 were crashed on the blanket we'd brought. People were shocked that they'd fallen asleep with the loud music playing but it was something that they were used to (we either had MTV on or the stereo on). Your daughter will be fine and it's possible that she may even fall asleep. LO's are pretty flexible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• my fiances mother used to take him and his brother to the apollo for late night performances from the time they were able to walk and they came out just fine! so no i dont think it would be wrong to go to a late night concert- i mean c'mon, once in a blue moon wont hurt her! also- think of how much fun the break in the routine will be for her! she will love it! might be a little cranky but hey she'll be fine! have a good time and dont worry- you cannot get into trouble for keeping a toddler out that late- especially at a festival of some kind- dont listen to ur mom
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:01 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Some concerts won't allow children. You should check first.

There are no laws about how late you can take your toddler out. I would be concerned about ear protection and get her some kind of ear plugs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No one will report you. LOL Funny how judgmental moms can be sometimes.
    I have have four children all of which are on strict sleep schedules, even my 14 yr old. I don't think one late night will matter much. YOU know you daughter best and if you think she can handle it I'm sure she will be fine. Make sure you take her comfort object, just in case she gets tired and ear plugs in case it's too loud for her. I still have to take ear plugs for my younger two when we see fireworks, they say it's too loud.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'd go. But, I'd go knowing that I might have to leave, depending on how my child was. There's nothing wrong with going.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2009