Do you think that people are more likely to become smokers if their parents are smokers?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I read in a text book that children who have both parents who smoke are 75% more likely to become smokers themselves. Children with one parent who smokes are 50% more likely to smoke.

My mom was a single mother of 4 children. Out of the 4 of us 3 of us made smoking a habit. All of us have quit and started back up again at different times. Currently only 1 of her 4 is still smoking.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• idk but neither of my parents smoked, and I smoke off and on.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Both of my parents smoked. Most of my extended family smoked. My sister started when she was around 14. I have never even took a puff cig. When I was around 13 my mom had a cough really bad from smoking and ended up tearing something in her eye from it and she went blind. She was very lucky they could repair her eye but it scared her enough to stop and me enough to never try. I am pretty sure though if that hadn't had happened I would have started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes. I lived with my mom who smoked and my brothers lived with my dad who never did. I'm the only one who smoked. I quit the first time I was pregnant though and I'm soooo glad I did.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My dad started smoking AFTER he divorced my mom (I was 20). My mom and him did not smoke before that. I think smoking cigs are gross, so I've never smoked them.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yes it is a fact! Yu are more likely to smoke if your parents smokes/smoked. However, there is exceptions as I am living walking proof of it and so are my siblings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Just about everyone in my family does/did but I dont. Never have. Never will. too hard watching family members die of smoking related illness.
    Anonymous

• **YOU**
    Anonymous

• I LIVED WITH MY GRANDPARENTS AND NEITHER OF THEM SMOKED BUT ME AND MY SIS DID....BUT ME AND MY BOYFRIEND RECENTLY QUIT LIKE IN APRIL.....IT WAS SO EASY I SHOULD OF BEEN DID IT!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Well, I can proudly say that I am one of the lucky 25% who never started. Both of my parents at one point smoked. My stepdad smokes. Well, I don't.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:50 AM on Sep. 25, 2009