My soon to be ex has agreed to give me $500 a month for CS, but on the months he gets 3 paychecks should he give me $750?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• No. His CS is calculated based on a percentage of his income - the 500 should take that into account.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Yeah... that seems a little silly to me. I mean, if you get paid 3 times in one month, should your rent/car payment be more for that month? Child support is a set amount based on your average income, not how much each paycheck each month is.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Not to be rude, but you should just be happy with all the deadbeats out there that he's paying child support.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• OP here- I am happy and I won't complain either way. It's just that I read somewhere that if you go through a court the CS is automatically taken out of the paycheck. So if I went through court wouldn't I get more those months? But I don't want to go to court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What? Are you serious?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• In TX I mean... This is just what I read somewhere.
    Anonymous

• Here is a link to calculator for texas child support.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/records_communication/law_library/pdfs/calculator.pdf

The amount you get is based on annual salary, not the number of paychecks he gets in a month.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You should be getting formal child support; for the sake of your children, file today.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, even if they take it out of his check, they only take out a certain amount/month. When my ex was working they took 1/2 of it out of his first check, and 1/2 out of his 2nd check. If he happened to get paid 3 times that month it was just extra for him, they didn't touch it.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The reason there will occasionally be odd months with more pay is because there are 4.3 weeks per month. (52 weeks divided by 12 months) Payments, such as child support, are set and fixed rates. If $500 per month is the agreement, that is what should be paid every one of those 12 months. Thank goodness it does not fluctuate, or it would really play havoc with home mortgages, car payments, etc., on the months where it happens to fall with three pay checks (depending upon how frequently a person is paid).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2009