Do yall think it would be ok to start working out?

From yall's experinces do u think it would be ok for me to start doing a few crunches and push ups 4 weeks post partum?

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm a certified post-partum fitness trainer and my recommendation is to not do any abdominal exercises until after six weeks. Your abdominal wall needs time to position back in place and if you start working the muscles too soon you are going to permanently damage them. You can do other things like walking and even running (if vaginal birth). You can do some weight training so long as you aren't putting strain on your core (abs).
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• Not if you had a c-section!
    But if you had vaginally then I would start off slow. No crunches or sit up tho. Try standing feet shoulder width apart. Put your hands behind your head (elbows up) and lift your knee to your elbow, and rotate! It works...
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Uck, with all three of mine I actually needed to wait a little longer than 6 weeks, but I'm a wimp. Start slowly and see how it feel but don't push yourself.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I started walk with my baby just a few days after she was born, and was back exercising (slowly) at two weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• You need to wait till your 6 week postpartum check up at your doctor and they give you the go ahead!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't, I would just start with walking. The more you excerisize though, the heavier your bleeding will be. I learned that the hard way when I leaked all over my light grey sweatpants a mile away from my house LOL. Like PP said, you should get the okay from your doctor before you start doing stomach excersizes.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I started walking (3 miles) about 10 days after my c-section. It took me until I was around 5 weeks post partum to feel comfortable enough to run. At about 6 wks I was able to do ab exercises and light resistance training.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:56 AM on Sep. 26, 2009