My 5 year old has headaches =(

About a year ago my 5 year old daughter started complaining about her"forehead" hurting her. At first I thought maybe she was just repeating me, bcuz I get migraines a lot. A few months later she started saying it more frequently. When I took her to get her kindergarten shots I asked the doctor about it and he blew it off like it was no big deal. I forgot to mention I had my first migraine at age 5. Well, tonight she said again that she couldn't sleep bcuz her head was hurting. So I layed down with her and rubbed her temples as I noticed her tears were streaming down my fingers. She finally fell asleep after about an hour. Has anyone delt with this? Is it normal? Her doctor didn't act concerned at all. Should I get a different doctor? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First I would get her eyes checked,lazy eye can cause migranes from struggling to focus. Listen to your gut on this, if they don't know keep pressing until you find out to makesure that there isnakt a more serious underlying issue.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I agree...keep asking! If that means another docs opinion, so be it! Poor baby! I hope it is resolved very soon! ((Hugs)) to u & her!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:29 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My niece suffers from headaches and has had them since the age of 6. Turns out, she has allergies. She has been on several medications that haven't worked very well for her. Finally, my brother bought a bee hive, and they eat the bee pollen and the bee honey and she no longer suffers from the headaches. Maybe this will give you something to think about. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Allergies can also cause headaches. My middle son had headaches so bad that he would throw up. I think they started before he could tell me what was wrong, because he would misbehave and the throw up from the time he was small, the doctor's never really gave me an answer as to why he was throwing up. Eventually as he got older (about age 4), I realized he had headaches, and that it seemed to happen on the days he had a lot of dairy products. We found out he was allergic to milk.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:40 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I'd get a different doctor.. just for the fact that he isn't taken your concerns seriously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Migraines run in families. One of my children started having them when he was around 6.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:07 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• If she had lazy eye, one or both eyes would be crossing in. She didn't mention that, so it's NOT lazy eye.

However, there is a chance it's her eyes, so those should be checked.

Find another doctor who will take your concerns seriously. This should have been taken care of a year ago when they first started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I would for sure have her eyes checked by a licensed opthamologist. Might cost a little more, our was $120, but worth it. Also, maybe try having an adjustment at the chiropractor. My sister used to get terrible migranes and after visiting a chiro a few times, she does not get them anymore. Again, make sure you find one that works on children.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:36 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• um.. yeah I'd prob consider looking at a diff doctor b/c migraines are no joke. I would take them seriously -- with my brother they were related to allergies. But there could be such a variety of things causing them ..... I'd DEF. look into it and try to figure out the cause...
    Eyes, allergies, blood pressure etc.etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:43 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My son seems to get headaches and ends up throwing up and then he feels fine.....it's the strangest thing and most of the time it is in the spring/summer seasons, so I am guessing it is allergy related....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009